21

It was parent week.

A week full of fun activities and lunches to interact with your peers mothers and fathers. It made me want to gag but every one in Willard was buzzing about it. I had called my mom and told her not to come but she insisted on meeting my new friends and seeing my new school. On Sunday night the parents began to flood into the house. They all held Chanel bags and Louis Vuitton luggage as they walked through the front door. I was becoming anxious. The house already didn’t respond to me well I didn’t even want to know what they would say to my mother.

My family wasn’t rich. We were lower-middle class and really just lived on necessities and not wants. I didn’t go to New York to shop and we ate home cooked meals not room service. My mother was a beautiful women but she didn’t try to outwardly show her beauty. She rarely wore makeup and dressed bland compared to the women already in the house.

I sat in the living room with a book in my lap looking out to the rainy New York day. Ivy  and Natalie sat with their mothers in the other room. All four stunning and dressed to impress. My phone vibrated and it was my mother telling me she was here. She wanted me to meet her at the parking lot to help her with her things. I grabbed an umbrella and walked the small route past Harper house some fathers and mothers were making there way in the house. I ran through the through the rain once I spotted my parents Subaru. As much I didn’t want my mother to come to parent week I missed her deeply and I felt tears collect in my eyes when I saw her exit the car and smile at me. I attacked her with a hug and let the tears spill. She was home and I really needed to be brought back down to earth.

“Look at you!” My mother eyed me with awe. I had on knee high brown boots and dark skinny jeans with a cream cashmere turtleneck and a brown cape jacket. My hair was curled and my cheeks pink with blush. This was a site she rarely got to see. “You look gorgeous.” She brought me back into her arms.

“This school defiantly changes you.” I sighed as she let go of me and began to hand me her bags. She held the umbrella as I walked behind her and got wet. We passed Harper house again and I saw Harry sitting on the front steps. He looked sad. I felt a pain in my chest as I watched him run his fingers through his hair. He looked up as he noticed someone walking by and I could see his face light up at the sight of me but we still hadn’t spoken since New York. I waved at him but he only looked down again.

“Katherine, he was cute.” My mother whispered to me.

“yeah.” I frowned back. I wanted to talk to Harry. He was really the only person I felt a little close to at Kingsley but his stubborn attitude was getting old fast. I looked away and helped my mom into Willard. Ivy immediately stood up at the sight of us and walked over.

“Hello! Mrs. Daily?” She held her hand out. My mother accepted it and nodded at Ivy. “We just love you’re daughter! She is such a sweetheart!” Ivy was actually being nice? I looked over to Natalie who was smiling at Ivy as she spoke. Damn, she was so oblivious.

“I know she loves being in the house!” My mom cheered.

“I’m Natalie aka you’re daughters best friend.” Natalie smiled proudly. I rolled my eyes at her in a playful way, which only caused her to smile more.

“Just to let you know Mrs. Daily there are Mani Pedi’s and make overs going on in the dining room so if you want to get pampered before the parents dinner tonight then make your way over there.” Ivy directed my mom to the room and I told her I’d take her things up stairs.

I took her small bag to my room and set it down on the desk chair. I spotted a note on my bed and my heart instantly dropped.

I didn’t even want to open it. What if I just stopped playing around with all of this mystery person’s games? Would they keep playing? I grabbed the note and ripped it open my curious mind wouldn’t let me forget about it.