Take 35 - One Thing - Part 3

A/N: Comment as you read, yeah? It would make my day. 

Once I opened my eyes again, the following hours became sort of a blur to me. The police arrived, ready to take my statement of what happened. Apparently, they’d already talked to Harry, and it irked me to ask if he was alright.

But it wasn’t any of my business. Not anymore, at least.

He didn’t want to see me, I thought. Even though I’d told myself that a hundred times already, I still couldn’t believe it—I refused to believe it.

“Thank you, officer,” I muttered.

They bowed their heads and left through the open door.

“I never want to do that again,” Ludmilla said. “That was horrible.”

I looked at her. “What do you mean?”

“Listening to that story—it was horrifying.” She clutched the sheet in her hands. “If I could just get my hands on that son-of-a—“

“Hey, hey,” I interrupted. “Like you said: they can’t bother us anymore now.”

“Oh, they’re bothering me alright. I can’t believe that douche is allowed to breathe after what he did to you.”

I smiled weakly. “It’s fine, sis. Don’t worry.”

A knock on the door caught my attention, and I looked over to see Steven pop his head inside. “Is this a bad time?”

Ludmilla shook her head. “No, no. I’ll just… ehm. I’ll go get some coffee or something.” She sounded flustered, but I didn’t get to comment on it before she rushed out of the door.

I arched my eyebrows in surprise but shook it away—I’d deal with it later. Instead, I opened my arms to Steven. He walked over with a big smile, hugging me gently before giving me a bouquet of daisies.

“These are for you,” he said and took a seat on the chair. “How are you feeling?”

“I feel like I was abducted by two maniacs, held in basement until I finally escaped on a very bumpy road, only to be sedated by the paramedics, which caused me to sleep for a very long time.” I shrugged. “I’m exhausted.”

He chuckled. “No shit, I can imagine.” He looked at his hands. “Look, I’m sorry for everything. We should have taken extra precautions for you. We just—I just didn’t think—“

“Steven,” I said. “It’s fine. I'm all right.”

“You’re not, though,” he said and took my hands. “You were under my protection. My responsibility and I utterly failed.”

“I don’t blame you,” I said. “I blame them. And they’ll get what’s coming to them.” Mustering up a smile, I squeezed his hand. “Too bad I missed the big reveal, though.”

“It wasn’t particularly pretty,” he said, chuckling. “You sister… she’s one of a kind.”

“That, she is.” I nodded. “Love her for it, though.”

“I can see,” he muttered. “Look, Cami, if there’s anything I can do, just name it.”

“How much more promotional stuff do we have left?”

He shrugged. “A few interviews in the states, but it should be standard stuff.”

“Can I be excused from them?” I averted my eyes. “Everything is a bit… overwhelming right now.”

Plus, I don’t think I can handle sitting so close to Harry while knowing he despises me. I didn’t share my thoughts, though. It would be easier if Steven believed it was all due to my injuries.

He’d only be partial wrong. It was due to one injury—the stab in the heart I felt every time I remembered that Harry didn’t want to see me.

“Sure…” He nodded. “We can do that.”

“How’s…” I wanted to ask about Harry. Stopping myself, I focused on the window. “Everyone?”

“Shocked, mostly. We all worked our best to spread the news of your disappearance.” He sighed loudly. “It will take some time to fade, though.”

“Have you seen Harry?” I blurted.

He nodded. “He’s right down the hall and around the corner. I went there first, but he’s asleep, which is probably a good thing. He lost a lot of blood.”

I nodded, slowly. In desperate need of a topic change, I looked around the room, trying to find something to talk about.

“I was accepted into Gillian’s,” I said and faced him again. “I think it’ll be nice to step away from all of this media craziness.”

“The school in New York?” He frowned. “You’re studying acting?”

I shook my head. “Photography. It’s my real passion.”

“Oh,” he said. “Well, if that fails and you ever want to take up acting again, give me a call. Talented actors are rare—especially one as natural as you.”

My cheeks felt warm, and I began to fiddle with the edge of my sheets. “You’re flattering me,” I muttered.

“Only because you deserve it.” He leaned forward and kissed my forehead. “Take care, okay?”

“You too.” I smiled.

Steven rose from the chair, and with a humoristic bow, he departed the room.

Alone with my thoughts, my thoughts once again went to Harry. Before I had a chance to think it though, I pressed the call button, waiting for the nurse to come running.

“Yes?” she said as soon as she entered. She was a small, butch woman with a kind smile.

Holding up my hand, I gestured to the IV. “How long do I have to wear this?”

She trotted over to my journal. “Let’s see…” Flipping through pages, she hummed to herself as she read. “According to this, you don’t need it anymore. Your heartbeat has returned to normal.”

I smiled at her as she unhooked me from the machines, feeling more anxious to leave every second. I had to wait, though.

“There,” she said as she pulled the last electrode from my chest. “You should still rest, though. That ankle isn’t going to heal quickly.”

Nodding, I gave her a smile. “Thank you.”

She smiled back at me before she also left the room. Counting slowly to thirty, I waited, hoping that would be enough time. Then I pulled back the sheets and carefully scooted to the edge of the bed. I placed both my feet on the floor, carefully testing out a step.

I winced at the pain, but I could deal. With all my strength, I stepped up, applying most of my weight on my good food. Then I walked.

I supported myself by the walls, leaning against it to relieve my ankle of some of the pain. Steven had said it was close, so I just had to take it a bit longer.

There weren’t that many people around, and I was somewhat happy that my current state wasn’t on public display. I turned the corner, noticing the only door down there. Harry was in there—I just needed to go a bit further.

“You’re not supposed to be here,” a voice said from behind me.

 A/N: Give this a vote, maybe?