Take 18 - C'mon, C'mon

A/N: Please comment as you read. It'll mean the world to me 

I woke up the next day with aching eyes. They felt dry, which I found to be completely rubbish since I’d been crying my heart out before bed. Slowly, I peeked out of my right eye. The sky was light-blue outside, but I had no idea what time it was.

I jerked up. Today was the first shoot!

My eyes shot to the clock on the wall. Phew. It was still early. I fell back on the bed again. This was going to be such an awkward day. I didn’t look forward to seeing Harry. Not because that wouldn’t be a joy in itself, but because the image of his polite—but distant—expression when he bid me goodnight.

I felt absolutely horrible. Groaning, I rolled out of bed. My braid had come undone during the night, and I ran a hand through my hair as I walked to the bathroom. A cold shower might help.

Hissing, I stepped under the cold water, my eyes widening at the sting on my skin. The chill did the trick, though. I washed my hair quickly and stepped out.

Once I’d found a pair of shorts, flats and a top, I allowed myself to let my mind wander back to the night before. Everything had been so perfect there for a moment. I wish my life could be that simple from now on.

Because it had been simple… Boy likes girl, girl likes boy. Boy giving girl flowers—

FUCK! I’d completely forgotten about the two roses. I ran to the bathroom, grabbed my keycard, and immediately left my room. My foot tapped the floor impatiently as I waited for the elevator.

I didn’t know why the flowers mattered so much to me. Maybe it was because it was yet another gift from Harry—something I could cherish and hold on to while I struggled to maintain my distance. Or maybe I was still losing my mind.

When the elevator finally stopped in the lobby after what felt like an eternity, I walked quickly to the pool. It was still early, so there were barely any people outside. A gentle breeze lifted a few dry locks of hair and carried the sound of chitchat from people through the open door to the restaurant.

Ignoring them, I ran to where I’d placed my clothes last night. Unfortunately, someone had already cleaned up the place. I remembered the waiter from yesterday—maybe he’d went back to clean up?

To be absolutely sure, I walked around the pool, checking ever sunbed and every inch of the floor. I even scanned the pool’s surface to see if I’d accidentally dropped it in the water.

But again: nothing.

I felt my heart sink. Despite having cried for hours yesterday, a lump latched itself in my throat and my eyes burned once more.

Why was I so emotional? I sniffled. The roses were gone, which shouldn’t matter as I had no business trying to pursue a relationship with Harry anyway.

An odd sense of being watched went over me, and I looked around to find that I was alone. Shaking the feeling away, I took a few deep breaths and made my way to the breakfast table.

Everyone was already there, and I tried my best not to look at Harry. My willpower wasn’t as great as I’d hoped; my eyes sought him out almost instantly, and he looked up at me. I didn’t recognize the expression on his face, but he nodded a curt greeting with a small smile.

His smile didn’t reach his eyes, and the sight broke my heart. I had caused that.

“Good morning, everybody,” I said and took the only available seat across from Harry. “Did everybody sleep well?”

Steven stretched loudly. “I slept like a baby. Those beds are absolutely incredible—it’s like sleeping on a cloud.” He looked at me. “How was your sleep?”