Take 28 - Gotta Be You - Part 1

A/N: Please comment as you read. It makes my day.

Next morning, I woke up in an unfamiliar room. Where I had expected green, there was only white upon other layers of white.

I didn’t like it. The smell of cleaning detergent and disinfectant wafted through my nostrils. I’d always hated that smell.

My mouth felt dry, and I groaned as I rolled over on my other side. Blinking rapidly, I finally opened my eyes. Much to my surprise, someone was watching me carefully. Even more surprising: it was Louis.

“Morning, Sleepy-head,” he said with a tired smile.

“Where am I?” I looked around, cringing at all the white.

“In a private room at the hospital.” Louis rose from the chair and dragged it with him to sit next to me. “You’re welcome by the way.”

“For what?” I frowned.

“Well. After your black out, you were about to reveal your name to Harry.” He gave me a skewed smile. “I interfered just in time; otherwise you’d be in big trouble.”

I looked around again. “No, I meant what am I in the hospital for?” I tried to remember last night, but it was all a big black hole. I remembered the club vaguely, but after seeing Jamie and watching him walk away from the club, everything was pretty blank.

“Somehow you consumed some GHB,” he said. “It hit you hard.”

“How?”

He shrugged. “Don’t ask me. I didn’t see anything. Did you leave your drink unattended? Or did you get a drink from someone?”

I shook my head. “I only drank from the pitcher, and my glass never left the VIP section.”

“We all drank from that pitcher, and none of us were affected.” He rubbed his head. “Either way. It should have left your system by now, but the doctor said you should rest for the day.”

“What happened after I passed out?” I sat up in the bed. With my fingers, I tried to comb the worst knots out of my hair.

“You were dancing with Harry out on the floor,” Louis said. “Then you became dizzy and blacked out. We called an ambulance, and I jumped in to accompany you.”

“How did you manage that? I thought that only family members were allowed to do that?”

He winked. “Nice to see you, sis.”

I chuckled. “You didn’t…”

“I did… Not with a lot of help from you or Harry, I might add.” He shook his head. “That guy wouldn’t release you to the paramedics. We basically had to pry him from your body. He kept trying to explain that he was your boyfriend and that he had to be with you.”

My face began to burn with heat as I imagined a panicked Harry trying to stay by my side. “How’d you manage to pose as my brother then?”

“Well. After explaining everything to Harry, he agreed to play the part with me. He wasn’t too happy, but I might have told him a small lie that I’d tried it before with my own sister.” He ran a hand through his hair. “Besides, Harry had to call the police. He wouldn’t have been able to stay calm as we waited for results.”

“Do the doctors know about my identity?” I asked.

He nodded. “I had to tell them so they could pull up your medical records. It took some time, but I explained to them that ‘Ludmilla’ is only a stage name, and that you’d appreciate it if they kept that information under wraps.”

“Thank you,” I muttered. “That was really sweet of you.”

He chuckled. “I thought it’d be only fair if you were at least conscious when you told Harry about your real identity.”

“You make me sound like some sort of secret superhero,” I said and leaned back on the bed. I was still tired.

“Or a super villain,” Louis noted. “It really depends on the side you’re on.”

I rolled my eyes. “I feel like crap.”

“It’ll pass,” he said.

“Where’s Harry now?” The question seemed to burst out on its own. I’d tried to hold it in, but it was something I needed to know.

“He’s probably still outside in the waiting room with Zayn.” Louis hooked a thumb over his shoulder. “Do you want me to go get him? The hospital only allows one visitor at a time.”

I nodded. “I’d love that.

When he didn’t move, I watched as he rubbed his hands slowly together and looked away. “Look, Cami. You know what you’re doing, right?”

“What do you mean?” I turned my head to look directly at him.

“I’m just…” He gestured around. “All of these incidents, the break-in, now being drugged and all of the complications of this life. Don’t you think it’s time your sister took her place in the middle of all this?”

I began to fiddle with my fingers. “If everything goes according to plan, she will do so after the concert.”

“And that’s okay with you?”

Shrugging, I met his eyes again. “It’s only two more days…”

“That’s not what I asked.”

I gave him my best attempt at a smile. “I’ll be fine, Louis.”

“I hope you’re right,” he said and rose from the chair. Walking over to the door, he glanced back at her. “Do you think you and Harry will be alright after he finds out?”

I bit my lip. That was the question, wasn’t it? I couldn’t count the times where I’d asked myself that before. “I don’t know,” I muttered. “I hope so.”

“Me too,” he said and opened the door.

Surprised, he took a step back. “Officers…”

I jerked up and looked at the new arrivals. Two policemen in full uniform were standing there. “May we speak to Ms. Hanson?” the youngest one said.

Louis turned back to me. “The police are here to question you.”

“I can see that…”

“Do you feel up for it?” He looked between the two officers with a slight frown.

I nodded. “Sure. Let’s get this over with.”

Louis nodded and gestured for the men to walk inside. The oldest officer took the chair, while the younger remained standing. I looked between them curiously.

“I’ll be right outside,” Louis said and walked out, closing the door after him.

 A/N: Give it a vote, maybe? Also, I'm gonna attempt another marathon to make up for going on vacation next week. Cheer me on in the comments, then I'll write more, better and faster. Also, remember the power of votes!