Take 11 - Little Black Dress - Part 2

A/N: Please comment as you read. It'll mean the world to me 

In the end, Marcus did surprise me. His definition of fabulous had been to keep everything simple. No excessive amount of eye shadow, blush and foundation—just something to enhance my eyes.  For the hair, he only brushed it through, making the natural waves do their job.

I spun in front of the mirror. To think that I was now willingly wearing dresses, make-up and going to parties. It was a shame Jackie couldn’t see me—she would have been so proud.

“I really hate that I can’t go with you,” Marcus said.

Turning around, I looked at him. “You have your date, though.”

“Yes, and I’m overly thrilled—don’t get me wrong.” He sighed. “I just feel like I should be there in case things go bad.”

“Don’t worry so much,” I sighed. “Harry and Zayn will take good care of me. With any luck, I’ll be home before you.”

“With your social skills, I don’t doubt that.”

“Hey.” I stuck my tongue out at him.

“Are you ready?” he asked.

“Yeah, I just need to…” I patted my small purse, realizing something was missing. “Have you seen my phone?”

Marcus held it in his hand, waving it lightly. “I swear; you’re as bad as Ludmilla when it comes to remembering where you placed your stuff.”

“Oh, shush you.” I took the phone. “I’m not that bad.”

“Right…” Marcus rolled his eyes before opening the door for me.

The drive was silent, and I could feel the nervousness starting to round up. I didn’t know what I was most jittery about: the dinner party, dancing or seeing Harry. Somehow, I believed it was a mixture of all three.

Of course, it didn’t help that the heels were even higher than anything else I’d worn before. I was somewhat getting used to walking in the others, but this pair made me fear falling.

Marcus pulled up in front of a massive mansion. I didn’t know the host personally, but Steven had said it was one of the investors. It shouldn’t have surprised me that the house was so big.

Zayn was standing outside, and when he noticed the car, he walked over to help me out. I couldn’t help but admire his tuxedo. It actually made him appear even more handsome.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

“My pleasure,” he said. Bending down, he looked into the car. “We’ll take good care of her all night.”

I couldn’t hear Marcus’ response, but it made Zayn laugh. After closing the door, Zayn offered me his arm, and we walked inside.

“This is a change of scenery,” I said.

The main hall was relatively empty. Only the stunning pieces of art along the walls took the attention away from the polished marble floor. Right across from the front door, a gold-encrusted stairway towered above us.

“It’ll get better,” Zayn whispered.

He led me into the ballroom. People of all ages were dancing to a live music. The women’s beautiful dresses contrasted with the men’s tuxedos. All shapes and sizes were present, and I smiled at three children who were playing catch in the corner.

I looked up to find a tasteful crystal chandelier hanging above us. I was surprised at the modern look, as well as the way it made everyone else look more sophisticated.