Take 23 - Diana - Part 3

A/N: Please comment as you read. It makes my day.

Diana didn’t say a word during the breakfast. I kept looking at her to see if she was okay, and apart from her deep sighs, I couldn’t see anything wrong.

It did seem like she wanted to say something, though.

I didn’t know if I was supposed to ask into it—I’d never really been in this kind of situation before. Whenever Jackie had a hangover in the past, she’d be very vocal about everything on her mind.

So I kept quiet.

When the phone rang, and Steven informed us that we had to go back to the hotel, I left her to gather my own belongings. Diana seemed to be feeling a lot better, and despite our earlier differences, I was somewhat happy that I had been there to help her.

I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed a friend.

Harry looked in my direction when I entered the bus, and I wanted to go and sit next to him. Unfortunately, Steven had claimed that seat, though. I skidded to the back of the bus, Diana following suit. She still winced whenever someone spoke too loudly, and her sunglasses did little to shield her eyes from the sunlight. From my place next to her, I could see her eyes close the moment she sat down.

I didn’t really listen to the conversations on our way back. To be honest, I was more worried that Diana might puke all over the bus if I wasn’t careful. Of course, the wild drive didn’t exactly help either.

“I feel like crap,” she muttered.

“I know…” I bit my lip, trying to remember everything I could about hangovers. “Will painkillers help?”

“Sometimes, but I’m all out of Advil.” She leaned her head back on the neck rest.

“I have some in my room—well. In my suitcase.” I remembered that I didn’t actually have a room any longer. I was currently staying with Harry and Zayn in their suite. “I can bring them to you when we get back.”

“Thank you,” she muttered.

I leaned back in my own seat, deciding to let her rest a bit. She needed it.

The driver parked around the back, and Harry gave me a hand with Diana. The step from the bus to the ground almost made me fall on my face.

“I’m going to need something from my suitcase,” I said to Harry. “Can you let me in?”

“Sure,” he said and led me to the elevator. Luckily, Diana’s suite was on the same floor as Harry’s, and I calculated that she wouldn’t have to wait long.

I hugged Diana awkwardly and promised to be back shortly. She waved with one hand as she walked down the hall to her door. After making sure, she’d gotten in without falling, we turned towards Harry’s door.

The earlier awkwardness was back, and I kept wondering if we were meant to be holding hands. It seemed like something we should do, but Harry had his hands in his pockets.

Did that mean he didn’t want to hold my hand? Had I finally driven him away?

I glanced at him quickly. Maybe I was just overthinking things. That seemed like a thing I would do.

He opened the door, and I hurried to get to my suitcase. After taking off my lucky bracelet, I found my toiletries. My medicine kit had normal over-the-counter painkillers, along with my medication for stormy nights. I stared at the bottle with my pills in them, remembering how Harry had calmed me down that night.

It seemed so long ago, but in reality it had barely been a week. A lot of things had changed since then, and I had to admit that I had no idea where Harry and I stood at the moment.

“Are you okay?” his voice shook me out of my thoughts.

I looked up and showed him the Advil with a smile. “Just taking some painkillers for Diana.”

“Yeah,” he said and walked into my room. “I gathered that much.”

He didn’t stop walking until he stood right beside of me. His hand reached out for mine, turning me slowly to face him. I looked at him through my eyelashes, once again stunned at how beautiful he was.

“Ehm…” I didn’t know what to say.

He smiled lazily, placing a hand on my cheek. Without thinking, I leaned into it. He felt so good.

“So…” he said.

“So…” I repeated.

“I think we need to talk,” he said, and my heart skipped a beat. “But first…” He leaned down, gently sliding his hand below my chin to guide me up.

I watched him get closer, and suddenly, panic spread inside of me. Mere inches away from feeling his wonderful lips, I jerked back.

“First,” I said and held up my bottle of pills. “I need to take these to Diana.”

His face showed surprise, but I didn’t give him a chance to speak before I ran out of the room. I didn’t stop until I was out of the suite and around the corner. Leaning against the wall, I panted and tried to steady my racing heart.

What just happened? I closed my eyes and banged my head twice into the wall. I was so stupid.

It took another second, but finally, I’d calmed down enough to go to Diana’s room. I knocked thrice, waiting for her to open. When she did, her eyes went to the bottle in my hands.

“You’re a life-saver,” she said.

I threw it to her and walked into the suite. It was a nice room, but I could easily see that Harry and Zayn’s suite took up most of the space on this floor. Apart from the living-room area, I didn’t think there were any other rooms here.

Diana knocked back to pills and then looked at me. “What happened to you? You look like you just saw a ghost.”

Try a super hot singer, and you’re not far off, I thought.

“I’m fine.” I shrugged. “Just ran to give you the pills.”

“Got ‘em,” she said with a smile. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” I patted my pants lightly, unsure what to do with myself. I didn’t think Diana wanted to hang out, but I wasn’t ready to face Harry just yet. “Do you have something to drink?” I asked.

She gestured to the built-in kitchen, and I walked over to the fridge. To my surprise, I found a bottle of Iced Tea and quickly grabbed it. “Can I have this?” I asked.

Diana looked up. “Sure.”

I screwed the cap and immediately drank it. It had been a while since I had iced tea—or any tea in general—and this was lemon tea: my favorite.

“So…” I asked as I walked into the living room again. “What’s your plans for today?”

Diana had picked up a remote control and was currently zapping through some channels on the massive television. She shrugged. “I think I’m just going to stay in, watch a movie. What about you?”

Wasn’t that a million dollar question? I bit my lip. “I have no plans, really.”

“You can stay here if you want.” She plopped down on the couch. 

A/N: Give it a vote maybe? Your support is what decides the future of this story.