Take 34 - Through The Dark - Part 3

A/N: Comment as you read, yeah? It'll make my day. 

Scared, battered, shivering and crying my heart out. That was my current state. I ran through the tall grass, without actually seeing where I was going. My muscles ached, my heart was trying to burst from my ribcage, and I could only see the faint outline of the light in front of me.

I focused on the sound of my heavy footsteps, afraid to hear another gunshot or even a scream. I couldn’t believe I’d left Harry, but at the same time, I knew there had been no other choice. I despised myself for leaving him in a wounded state.

Sure, he’d ordered me to, but it just seemed so… cold. Heartless.

And as the coward I was, I’d left with those words. It seemed like such an inappropriate topic, my current situation taken into consideration, but I didn’t care: I loved Harry Styles.

The thought alone made a new round of tears flow from my eyes. How could I love someone I’d just left to die?

I focused on everything I knew about love—which wasn’t much at all. My knowledge stemmed from books, movies, and music lyrics. Wasn’t love supposed to be the greatest thing in the world? Wouldn’t it conquer everything?

But, why had I been such a coward and left him?

It occurred to me that this would be the perfect time to call the end of the scene. If this had been a movie, this would be where the camera would fade with me arriving at the house, pleading for someone to call the police.

But in real life, you can’t just call ‘cut’ when a particular scene is done. In real life, you have to live.

And that was exactly what I planned on doing.

I gasped in the cold night air as the outlines of the house came into focus. It was a small country-side house, with a massive barn in the back. It reminded me of a farm.

Too late, I realized that if it was a farm, there might be animals—which probably used the very field I was running on as a toilet. My sneakers sank into something soft, and I almost fell. It didn’t stop me, though. I needed to keep on going for Harry.

Screaming at the top of my lungs, I tried to call for help.

“Call the police!” I shouted, panting heavily in between the words.

When I finally arrived at the gravel part of the driveway in front of the house, I almost fell over with exhaustion. I screamed again, hoping someone would hear me. I couldn’t run anymore.

At the front step, I sank down, pounding my knuckles on the door, while I gasped for air.

The door opened almost immediately.

“Help,” I said and looked up at the elderly man in the door. “There’s a lunatic with a gun after me, my bo—friend—he’s shot. Please, you have to call the police.”

“Susannah!” the man boomed. “Call 113 immediately.”

Despite being old, the man bent down and scooped me up into his arms. He carried me inside and placed me on his couch. I closed my eyes, listening to the sound of a woman talking Italian to the police.

I did it, Harry. Please hold out. Please be okay.

 I begged, prayed and pleaded for whatever force out there to keep him safe. I promised that if I had to stay away from him in order for him to live, then it would be a small price to pay. I repented my lying, praying to a god I didn’t believe in while I began to cry anew.

“Police is on their way.” The man came into the living room. I opened my eyes to see him hold a tray. “You’re safe. The ambulance will be here shortly.”

On the tray, I saw a bowl of soap water with a dark cloth in it. The woman came over and gently began to wash my face.

I hadn’t given my appearance any thoughts—it didn’t matter.

All that mattered was that Harry would be okay, which I didn’t know.

It didn’t take long before I heard several sirens in the distance. The man opened his door to the paramedics who helped me out to the ambulance.

I wanted to ask what had happened to Harry. Then I saw him on a stretcher. It seemed odd to me that there was one ambulance, but at that moment I didn’t care. I shook out of the paramedics grasp and ran to the car, hugging Harry tight.

“I’m sorry—I’m so sorry,” I whispered. “Please be okay, I’ll do anything.”

A pair of hands clawed me away from his body, and I kicked and screamed in order to stay near him—I’d never leave him again.

Someone shouted something in Italian, and I felt a sting near my neck.

“Don’t…” I tried to speak, but everything became black.

A/N: OHMIGOD GUYS! TECHNICALLY, ONLY ONE FULL CHAPTER + EPILOGUE LEFT. SO CLOSE TO THE FINISH LINE! GIVE ME THEM POMPOMS DEAREST. 

And, you know... maybe give this and every chapter before this a vote? You know, since I wrote this in less than five months for you guys. Perrthyy please. It would make my day. Also, spam me with comments, tweets and messages. I love to hear from you guys.