Chapter 12

John's P.O.V

It looked the same as it did ten years ago. Well I guess graveyards don't change. They are supposed to be the cold and dark place you think they are. I remember that day at the burial service. Morgan was eight and cried for her mom the whole time. I was ten when it happened and didn't know what to think of the whole thing. All I remember was feeling sorry for Morgan and her father, and when Arianna, Morgan's mother, was lowered into the grave Morgan let go of her father's hand and ran. I remember dad having to send a search party out looking for her. I went out with them and we found her in the same meadow Arianna was killed. When we tried to make her leave but she screamed and cried to let her stay dad, however, just picked her up and let her scream and kick allowing her to get all of her anger out.

After that she never cried or at least not in front of others she hasn't. She never ran from anything or anyone. Except me because I am a jerk who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

I turned my senses back to their original state and began to walk up the rows of the graves of people who had passed before us. As I walked I tried to think of all the times I had spent with Morgan and I had not realized the bond between us. I mean how did I miss it? The sad expressions on her face, the way she looked at me, her lying to me about her mate, her questions about how I felt about Kalee. Not to mention the way I sometimes felt about her too. How I felt protective of her, how I found her attractive, how I felt sorry for her and wanted to comfort her. It all made sense. I needed to fix this. I need to talk to her and explain what had happened.

I began to jog to where I knew I would find her, with her mom.

Morgan P.O.V.

I sat there staring at the tombstone of my mom.

'Beloved mother and wife'

Very original I know. My dad didn't want anything special or personal. If it was up to me I would have had a paragraph engraved on it but knowing my mom she would have wanted it to be simple. She was the kind of person who put herself second to others. She was happy as long as everyone else around her was happy. I looked up to her. I wanted to be her but I could never be her. I feel as though I let her down though. I didn't want to feel like this if John rejected me. I should be happy that he is happy with someone else.

"It is going to be okay, right?" I asked her hoping, wishing for an answer but I was never going to get the one I wanted.

"I could really use you now mom. I need you now," tears began to escaped, "I need you to give me something. Something that lets me know that you are still here like you said you would. I remember that day all the time. Charlie I saw him tonight. He wants our land he says if he doesn't get it I will be with you soon. I use to think that that was a bad thing but now it doesn't seem to be too bad."

Honestly it didn't. John didn't want me. In my mind there isn't any reason to live but then I remembered my father. He had lost more than I did when my mom passed. He lost his wife, his mate, his best friend, his lover, his everything.

"Morgan!"

No. No. Why is here?

I turned around and saw the one person I was running from, the one who I didn't want to see. Mom was right running did nothing but right now it seemed better than facing him. I got up and looked at my mother's grave once again and ran.

"Morgan stop, please? Let me explain," he shouted

Why should I hear him out? I heard all I needed to hear. I kept on running when all of a sudden my body gave out on me.

Pain filled my sadness and my hurt. It erased all the pain my heart had gone through. It hurt and it felt as if my body was on fire.

I let out a scream and began to whimper in pain.

I heard John getting closer to me and telling me that he was with me.

"Morgan you have to open your eye." He said to me pushing away some of my hair on my face.

I tried to open eyes but I couldn't feel them. I felt only pain.

"It hurts," I tried to say but to John it sound probably like gibberish, "I can't"

"Morgan, you are shifting. I need you to look at me. I know it hurt sweetheart but try, please, for me."

My shift. No, I can't be shifting. Why should I do anything for him? Why should I open my eye for someone who doesn't want me?

'Okay do you know how stupid you are being right now? If you don't listen to him you are going to die.'

No my wolf, no I don't want this. I am not ready for this.

"Morgan open your eyes, now." John demanded

I could tell by his voice he was nervous. I didn't like knowing he was nervous. He has to direct me through this. My life technically is in his hands. Now I just have to listen to him.

'Girl, open your damn eyes right now. I am not going to let you or me die because of him," she said with a growl, 'we can deal with him later. Just open your eyes and trust him to help you shift.'

So I wasn't the only one who was upset about this. She did have a point though. I could deal with that late now I just wanted the pain to go away. I tried to locate my eye and open them. When I opened them I screamed it burned.

"Morgan I know it hurts but you need to fight through the pain."

I tried but it was no use I wasn't strong enough.

"Morgan don't you dare give up. I need you, I didn't mean any of the things I said, please try." He asked pleading

He didn't mean it?

'If he did then he wouldn't be here.' My wolf implied as her anger toward John lessened.

He was here and that was what mattered. I wasn't ready to leave him and I wasn't going to let myself die because of my stubbornness. I opened my eyes and fought through the pain.

John gave me a weak smile when all of a sudden I heard something break and I let out a cry.

"It hurts,"

"Shhhhh I know. It is okay. The body needs to break some bones to go through the shift." He said wiping some of the sweat off my face.

I heard another break and felt my senses heighten I could smell the woods and the trees. I could hear the birds flapping their wings and deer's feet hitting the ground as they ran. I could hear and smell everything around me. Including John he smelled like freshly fallen snow on a winter day. It was the most intoxicating thing I had ever smelled. Again my bones broke but this time my hand became paws and my skin was replaced with white fur.

My wolf wanted to be released. She wanted to run but john kept pushing me down every time I tried getting up.

"Morgan will you stop trying to move." I growled at him in response and he growled back.

'Come we can take him. Just left me go.'

I may have not paid that much a tension in class but I do remember that I need to listen to John and when he tells me to let my wolf take over. That is the only way I will ever let my wolf go.

"Not yet Morgan, the pain will go away soon."

I just nodded I just kept on looking at his face. He looked tired and worn down. He had bags under his eyes and he had the look of love, fear, sleepiness, and concern in his eyes.

I couldn't stay mad at him. I guess I could hear him out.

'Oh please, I think we should kick him to the curb. You know what we should listen to me and let me go.' my wolf said trying to per sway me to let her go.

'No'

'Yes' she growled

'No'

'Yes'

"John I can't wait anymore," I said asking for him to release me

"Not yet Morgan," He told me

"Please, please," I begged.

I couldn't control her much longer.

"Now," he said releasing me and my wolf took over.