Chapter 27~ Trial and Error

John’s P.O.V    

I sat there waiting for the council to determine what to do with Charlie. Morgan was squeamish in the chair next to me.

“Are you alright?” I whispered in her ear.

“These meeting freak me out,” she told me.

“It will be alright.”

“John, a man is being put on trail to see if he should be put to death. How can it be alright?” she asked, “Plus you aren’t being put on the stand.”

            I put my arm around her waist, trying to comfort her.

“You will be fine. All you need to do is answer questions and then we can leave.”

“John, you are the soon to be Alpha, you can’t leave.”

“I can make exceptions,” I said with a smirk.

            She just laughed and shook her head. The council, which consisted of elders and some of the high ranking Alpha’s in the country, walked in.Everyone in the room stood up in respect. One in particular whose name is Arthur is the oldest of the elders. If I remember correctly he is now 105. They all sat in their assigned seats that they have sat in for more than 50 years. Not all the elders are man; I mean we aren’t sexists or anything. The oldest woman of the elders in Mary who is 75 and she sat three seat to the right of Arthur. In total there were 25 elders that would be listening to Charlie’s trail.

“Please be seated,” Arthur said in a shaky voice.

We all sat down and Morgan placed her hand in mine. I gave her a little squeeze to reassure her that it will be okay. One of the council members who wasn’t an elder stood up and spoke.

“We all know why we are here today. I don’t want to explain why or how. The council and I have decided to make this short to avoid anymore heartbreak,” He turned to the guard and nodded, “Please bring in Charlie Jasper Chance.”

            The guard left for a moment and came back leading Charlie who had his head down and his hands tied together. He led him into the center of the room with his back to us. This time Arthur spoke.

“Charlie, do you know what we are deciding today?”

Charlie nodded and kept his head down.

“Alright, let us begin. I would like to know one thing before we heard the whole story,” he paused waiting for someone to object, “Charlie, what happened to you my boy?” he asked looking him in the eyes.

Charlie looked up and his face was filled with sadness and grief.

“I don’t know.”

Arthur sighed, “I was afraid for that answer. Well, James please call up the first witness and get that boy a chair. What have we become? This boy has been put through enough,” Arthur said in disgust.