Chapter 3

LEON ADLER

It has been days since Ethan left the pack – four days ago exactly. As instructed by my father, and with my permission, the pack warriors began searching for him. Our troops have been deployed to east, west, north, and south. We've also been coordinating with the Elders in hopes that they would have the power to locate a pack member.

As they search for him, I ask the people he usually associated himself with. But their response is either they don't know, or Ethan never really tells them much about his plans or his thoughts.

In moments like this I'm realizing that I should have at least talked to him, or treated him as an equal. Maybe he would have told me that he knows I'm his mate, or his plans.

I've read his letters – letters for himself and for me. I've been holding onto that notebook ever since I found out it in his apartment. In one of his notes, he mentioned that he has been tempted so many times to tell me that I'm his mate, but the more he thought of telling me, he's been constantly reminded that he's just going to bring danger into this pack. He's also been asking why he's special, and why he has the ability to turn off his scent, or remember everything. He's also questioning why he knew his mate's name at an early age – a question I've asked myself so many times. But unlike me, he didn't take it as a bad thing. Ethan saw past right through it, and found a good thing in it. Ethan never made a big deal about it, instead, he seemed pretty excited. And when I was reading those letters, I somehow feel what he was feeling when he was writing those – he felt sad, and happy at the same time.

The notebook containing his letters is currently under my care, placed in my cabinet. I have read his letters several times, hoping that it may give a clue as to his whereabouts. But he only talks about his experiences, me, and his abilities.

"You're supposed to train with the new warriors today,"

Dad comes into view along with mom who is leaning onto him, her hand holding one of his. Mom lets dad go and sits beside me, rubbing my back. They know how this takes toll on me. But I know I am to blame. Had I treated Ethan as an equal and a real pack member, he wouldn't leave the pack. Instead he would let us deal with this along with him. He wouldn't decide to leave.

Mom smiles sadly, knowing what I feel. As her son, she has an idea what I'm going through, and let's all admit it, no mother wants to see their son in this state. She grabs my face and rubs her thumb on my cheek affectionately.

"I thought I should just relax for a moment," I answer my dad calmly.

He lets out a sigh beside me. My father looks at me with pity, something that I don't want to see on anyone's faces, especially when it's directed to me. In my entire life, they have always been beside me; they are guiding me, protecting me, and loving me. But as I look into my father, I have a feeling that he's letting me fight this alone. And I'm willing to do this alone if it means I would be able to bring Ethan back into this pack.

All the three of us remain quiet. I wish there was an explanation in front of us as to why this is happening. If Ethan told me that I'm his mate, would things have turned out differently? Would it change the way I used to think about this whole thing?

"I feel like I don't deserve him,"

"You don't," my mother answers.

Dad and I look at each other with a confused look. Mom is unlikely to say those things, but right now, she has a frown look etched on her face. It looks like she's almost glaring, but not quite.