Chapter 1

LEON ADLER

All my life, I have always known who my mate is. I wasn't given the option to feel what everyone felt when they were searching for their mates, wondering whether they'll be their on their 18th birthday, or when the full moon was on. I wasn't given any of that. When I was a child, an Elder told me and my parents that my case is rare. I told him that I had an idea who my mate was going to be, and the Elder confirmed it.

It is said that this case only occurs in every 10,000 years.

However, it hasn't been cleared to me as to why I was chosen to have this. I admit, the first time I learned about this, I was ecstatic. Because I didn't have to look for a mate, that I didn't have to spend countless days and nights searching for her, but when I learned that it was a male, I stopped feeling giddy. I claimed this gift as a curse.

Ever since I was a child, I've always known that my mate is Ethan Kennedy.

When my parents learned about this, my parents talked about keeping the bloodline running, which can't happen because my mate is a guy. I know I shouldn't be eavesdropping - I was a child. But I was old enough to understand what they were saying. Since my mate and I are both males, we can't conceive a baby, which means the line of an Alpha blood wound end to me.

My parents are disappointed by that fact, and apparently, it got to me, too. Of course, at a young age, I remember wanting to have pups that I could raise along with my mate. And that can't happen if my mate is a male.

This is probably the reason why I loathe him. I hate him with all my guts. But no, I'm not bullying him or anything. I'm not even speaking to him at all. All my life, I've avoided him because I didn't want to see his face. I still don't. But this is actually a little hard, considering that we're in the same pack. Perhaps when I become a full pledge Alpha, I can banish him. Or would that be too harsh?

He hasn't really spoken to me at all. Hell, I don't even know if he's aware that I'm his mate. But sometimes, I find him staring at me. Me, or at nothing. There are times my eyes would meet his, but he wouldn't budge. He would just... look at me. And I find it really weird.

I loathe him.

I wish I wasn't gifted, or cursed, with the knowledge to meet my mate at a young age. It's a different feeling. I want to feel like a normal werewolf. I want to know how it feels like to look for a mate - that feeling of hopefulness. I want the idea of me thinking how my mate would look. Is she beautiful? Is she small? Is her skin dark or white? What color is her hair? I want to ask those questions. But no, my mate is Ethan Kennedy. And I can't do anything about it.

He's not a female.

He's not worthy to be my mate.

Of course, I should reject him. I don't want anything to do with that guy. But honestly speaking, the thought of rejecting him is scary. Based on the history books I've read about werewolves, rejected mates have shorter life span, or worse, they die from pain. But for Alphas, it's stated that they have a higher chance of living but can't be the same for the mate. So I rejected him, there's a chance that I'd live and he'd die.

That's just awful.

I may loathe him, but I don't loathe him enough to want him to die because of my selfish reason of not wanting him as my mate. And honestly, I don't know what to do.

My 18th birthday is coming up, and that's the full moon. The pull is going to be strong, and I have no idea if I can resist such force. If I could just rejected him without having any consequence, I would have gladly done so. But it's not the case. I'm stuck on this mate thing, with this curse. It would have been easier if I was born normal. My parents would have been so happy. My parents wouldn't have to worry about having to keep the Alpha bloodline of my family. My father would have been happier.