Chapter 16

ETHAN KENNEDY

Words cannot describe how happy I am to know that my parents are still alive. When I saw them again, I thought I was hallucinating. I thought I was being tricked, being lured so that they could kill me. But when I heard my dad calling my name and my mom wrapping her small arms around me, I knew it was all real. And then there's my mate, who has been so supportive of me. Leon has always been by my side. What more could I ask for?

There was a time that I already conditioned myself of not ever seeing him again because I believed that we were just in the wrong timeline. I used to believe there was a plane of another reality where there were no complications for us, where he wasn't questioning why his mate was a guy, where I didn't get my powers and wasn't special.

It would be so much easier for us.

But now, tables have completely turned. My mate wants me. Leon has been so regretful of his thoughts and actions before, and has been vocal about it. He has accepted his flaws. And now, thinking of him, I pray that no one will try to stop our love anymore. Goddess how much I've already suffered and sacrificed, and for once, I'd like to put myself first.

The celebration goes all night. I'm introduced to almost everyone, and while I don't like the attention, I realize that this is going to be my life from now on. I'm a soon-to-be Luna, and people will be looking up at me for guidance and leadership.

A lot of people are talking to me all at once. I can't almost understand what they are saying, though I just continue to nod and smile but don't reply back. Leon has already been snatched by my side after the conversation we've had about mating. Remembering the conversation, a smile graces my lips. Leon said to me that he's 100% sure about me, and the fact that he's willing to mate with me makes me feel like a lovesick teenager.

I picture his strong and calloused hands roaming around my body, touching me in the most intimate way, and a blush creeps up my cheeks. I gulp, suddenly aware of my surroundings. I'm in public, and werewolves can smell arousal. If I continue that daydream, sooner or later, people would be whipping their head my way and I'd be so embarrassed if that happens.

The night just keeps getting colder. Wind brushes past me as I watch a couple of kids play with a soccer ball. The ball lands on my feet when one of the kids throws the ball way too hard. One kid, who is just about 5 years old with a black mop hair, wearing a cute white t-shirt that has a cartoonish wolf imprinted on it, shyly moves to retrieve the ball. The whole time, he has his head hung low as he approaches me, his little hands tuck neatly by his side. I crouch, meeting him eye to eye before smiling at him, pushing the ball gently towards him. The kid grabs the ball slowly, and when his eyes meet mine, his cheeks blush.

A small "hi" in a squeaky voice comes out of his mouth. I hear one of his friends say that I'm the mate of their Alpha, which makes me their Luna, and the kid in front of me turns even redder. His friends watch him.

"Hi, Luna..."

"What's your name?" I ask the little boy.

"Edward."

"Nice to meet you, Edward. You can call me Ethan." Edward nods before looking back at his friends who remain frozen as they watch us. "Mind if I play with you guys next time? I'm not good at throwing, but maybe you guys could teach me."

Edward nods again. "Sure, Ethan. I'll tell my friends about it. Dante is the one who's really good at throwing."

"All right. You can introduce me to Dante soon."

"Okay! I go back to them now. Thank you, Ethan." Edward goes back to his friends and they resume playing.

I watch them play again with the ball. Edward reminds me of the younger me. Skittish, shy, but full of curiosity. But unlike Edward, I was already aware of my responsibilities and the fact that I already knew who my mate is. Edward has a lot of things to figure out for himself. Before, I wished I could have had that; that innocence that only belongs to kids like Edward.