Chapter 6

LEON ADLER

Once we're back in the Crescent Pack home, it's already midnight. But the members are still awake, waiting for my return. I don't have an idea how they knew, but once I see their faces, I let out a sigh in relief. These are the faces that I'm going to protect, and with my mate by my side, I think I would be able to fulfill the shoes my dad is going to leave.

Ethan climbs out of my back, and my mom immediately tends to me. As I transform, she quickly puts a big towel around me, and I kiss her cheek. My mom, looking at Ethan whose head is hanging low, approaches him, puts her hand on his face, and gives him a reassuring smile, then she hugs him.

My mate looks at me with a confused expression on his face, and I just smile at him, shrugging as my mom lets him go. I look at my dad and my heart swells at the sight. He's smiling at me, giving me a thumbs up. I nod at him, and look at my mate who looks confused as my mom literally showers him with attention.

"Shao, where are the medics?"

"Leon, they are waiting in that hut." I nod my head at Shao, and head to my mate. Ethan looks at my mom shyly. His face is contorted in pain, and my mom hasn't yet noticed that my mate is fatally wounded. "Ethan, come on, let's get that wound treated."

My mom gasps, inspecting Ethan. "My poor baby." My mom is all over my mate, and I look at dad who sighs. He grabs my mom's arm and pulls her to him. My mom glares at dad. "That poor boy is hurt."

"And he needs medical attention immediately," dad tells her. My mom huffs.

"Thank you," Ethan says to both of them, and my parents smile at him.

I lead Ethan to the hut where the medics are. He looks at me through his lashes and my heart swells at the sight. Even though he's in pain right now, he tries his best to hide it like it doesn't exist. He walks as if he's ready to fall down in any minute, but he keeps himself up. I feel proud of my mate for bearing the pain like it's nothing. But at the same time, I feel useless and an idiot for having him deal with his monsters alone.

My mate grabs my arm for support, and I suck in a breath. His touch is warm, lighting me up with desire. My wolf whines, wanting the attention of our mate. Since we haven't done the mating, our connection to each other is quite a broken. Something like an internet. But that would change soon, hopefully. Ethan came back home with me, so that has to mean something, right? Like he accepts me. I hope so.

As soon as the medics see my mate, they immediately tend to him. A lot of people are touching him, and my wolf just wants to lash out at them for touching their Alpha. I shut my eyes, calming myself as I take deep, huge breath. I watch the medics tend to my mate. Ethan looks at me, wincing in the process. He gives me a small smile and my heart melts at the sight. I never thought that I'd see his precious smile directed at me. I mean, I know he has given me smiles today but I swear, whenever he smiles at me, it's like the first time I've seen him.

The whole time my mate is being taken care of, I stay by his side. My mom got me and my mate some food – a steak. Ethan keeps throwing glances at me, studying me. Of course, I can see his stares. There are times I'm flexing out so he can see how good-looking I am. Ethan just smiles genuinely, not falling for my wicked tempts and tricks.

"Leon, we've successfully removed the silver out of his body." Kirk, one of the medics, says to me. "He needs a lot of rest. That bullet took a lot of energy out of him."