Chapter 18

LEON ADLER

For the past weeks, Ethan has his eyes on Edward. There's joy in his eyes as he watches the little kid go running around with his friends. It brings him extreme happiness to know that the kid is safe here with us, and that the Smiths are taking care of him.

I hired an investigation team, a group of werewolves that have the ability to track occurrences, to find out what happened with Edward's parents and how he ended up here. It took a lot of time because I had to find his file from my dad's unorganized shelf so I could read more information about him. Unfortunately, there isn't much.

He was a rogue. He was found by Dalton, a pack warrior, roaming around the area with a rugged look and a busted lip. He was barefooted and his skins were full of dirt. Dalton tried to get some information about him, but the kid was completely terrified and wasn't speaking, so he alerted dad about it. Edward was brought to him and Dad tried to get some details that would reveal what really happened. But to no avail, Edward didn't really share any details, so dad ended up tagging his form as incomplete. Therefore, making him an unofficial resident of the pack but within its protection rule.

Later that night, after reading his file, I went to dad and discussed it with him, telling him about Ethan's newfound interest on the kid. Dad referred me to the investigation team and gave me the job to find out Edward's background, and the best chance I have is to hire those elite trackers.

Ethan doesn't know about it yet but he knows I've been doing something behind his back. He hasn't really confronted me about it but I assume that he's waiting for me to tell him. And I will. Later.

I talk to the Smiths regarding Edward's behavior or if there's anything unusual, or if he's having nightmares, but they only tell me that he's been a pretty quiet kid. His favorites are sweet candies, especially Skittles, but he doesn't like Caramel-flavored cake. He doesn't have a strong appetite and would eat less for steaks. The Smiths also tell me that they would usually wait for them to be done before he eats, and that he's extremely shy when he gets asked what he likes to eat or if he is asked to join them.

And then it clicks.

I excuse myself from the Smiths and head over to the small library attached to the Elders' Chamber. This is where documents, histories, and lores and stories about mythical beings are kept.

The library just has six seventh-story shelves, and they are lined up of the wall in the far corner. The center is filled with empty chairs and tables, and you can clearly see the dust, evident that the place hasn't been touched or visited in a long time. Light spills through the open windows, brightening up the room. In the far left corner, on the first shelf, the spines of the books have crack on them, and I can't almost make out the titles of the books, but I know they are about the history of the mythical beings; some are about the Goddess.

My fingertips hover the titles until I find the right one: Werewolves: The Traditional Lifestyle. The pages are crisps, and just like the other books, there are yellow patches on the pages, another evidence that this book has been long pushed the corner and has not been read for a very long time.

The book smells like wood, and you can practically smell how ancient it is. My fingers grip the spine, tracing the side and admiring the thickness of the book. I slowly open the book and check the table of contents, my index finger hovering over the chapters before I find what I'm looking for, on page 324: The Hierarchy of Wolves and their Roles.

I read the first part of the book but skip some phrases later on. Then I skip a page and another page and another page until my eyes catch the funnel describing the wolves' rank. Alpha, Beta, Omega.