Chapter 10

LEON ADLER

We reach the territory of Blood Pearl pack.

Everyone is looking at us. Most of them sensing that I'm an Alpha, and that Ethan is my mate. They bow their heads and I hear Jacob scoff. I choose to ignore him even though Apollo wants to rip his throat out. That would surely teach him a lesson. The pack members seem respectful enough, except for the Beta that's going to ascend soon once Klein retires.

"We can continue our conversation in my office," Klein says as he leads us to a small building that's quite a bit old. The paints are starting to peel off, and some windows are wrecked. "I'm sorry about the look. This is going to be renovated within this month, but it's really not a priority as we're putting a lot of our resources into a more valuable investment. This building can wait."

"I agree, members come first." I tell him and Klein beams.

We enter a set of double doors. There's a round table placed at the center, books lined up in the shelves. Even though the outside of the building is old, this room is the opposite; it's well-kept. The room is well ventilated, and there are rows of seats. Rather than the traditional Alpha office, just like what we have back in the Crescent Pack, this one is more of a meeting type room.

Klein motions for us to take a seat, and Ethan sits beside me. Jacob and the others sit across us. Ethan loops his arm around mine, and I give him a smile. Jacob is looking at us intently, curiosity etched on his face. I wonder if they have an idea that Klein's son is alive and is living somewhere Canada.

"Do you need anything? Water, coffee?" Klein asks us as he grabs a few documents sitting on the table and putting it on the nearest shelf.

"Water would be fine," Ethan responds.

"Miriam, can you go grab us some water, please?" Klein tells to the petite woman standing near the door. The woman nods her head and gets out of the room to get some water for us. "All right, back to these shrines you are referring to, Ethan. What about it?"

Now, I know we just met these people, and I know we shouldn't be even telling them about this in the first place. We don't know if they are really an ally, but something tells me that these werewolves are pure and good, that they don't really mean no harm to us and that they would only like to help us. Ethan seems to have felt that, too, considering how he immediately nods his head and begins telling them about the shrines we are looking for.

"Well, for one, these shrines were built in the first place when the werewolves had just been created by the Good Goddess," Ethan takes a deep breath, his hands trembling a bit. I grab his hand, giving it a light squeeze, and smile at him. "There were supposed to be protectors of the shrines as they were very sacred. Before my parents died, which I clearly remember, I believed they were trying to go to one of the shrines as we would be most likely safe there. But they were killed. Rogues found us. And I'm not sure how they found us considering my parents were being careful. They outnumbered us, and even though my parents were powerful werewolves, they just couldn't keep fighting. I have to find these shrines so I can get some answers about me and what I really am."

Everyone, even me, is shocked to hear his story.

I just remember that Ethan has the ability to remember almost everything, and the murder of his parents are still fresh in his mind. I'm beginning to think if him being powerful is a blessing or a curse. But despite being able to remember that part, he remains strong and good. If I were in his position, I would have definitely lost my mind. I would have lashed out. I would have been angry at the world, at the Goddess, for giving me such ability.