Chapter 5

LEON ADLER

I take a rest on the ground, resting my arms on my knees as I look down. My heart slowly beats, but my vision is still blurry. My mind replays the look of Ethan as he fought those hunters with ease. He also went to save me from being murdered by those hunters, and for that, I'm forever grateful. My heart swells from the thought that my mate still cares even though I treated like he was nothing.

It's too late, Leon.

What did he mean by that? There's a fear inside me that he's referring to us being mates, and that he doesn't want me anymore. I shut my eyes, calming myself as I'm close to having a panic attack. He can't mean that. I shake my head, not believing at what he said. He's not going to get rid of me that easily. I'll make him see that he needs me, and I need him, that we're mates.

I should have realized this sooner, and now my mate is running away from me because he thinks he's a danger to me, to the pack. What he doesn't realize is that he's part of the pack, and we will all stand by him no matter what.

If I could only talk to my past self and tell him about my idiocy, maybe it would be a good knock to get me some sense. I was so deluded at the idea of a perfect family – a father, a mother, and pups. In this delusion, I'm about to lose my mate, and that's fucking scary. It scares the shit out of me knowing that I'd never be with my mate.

Now, I'm only left with imagination. I wish I could wrap my arms around him while we're under the moon, looking at what we're building together – the pack and a family. I wish I could touch his neck with my lips, and let it wonder all over his body as if his body is a canvas and my lips are a brush. I would do anything just to be intimate with him; not just in a sexual way, but physically and emotionally, as if we're just one.

Roger and Daniel, along with Cory, go back to the Crescent Pack to tend Cory's wound. The silver weapon is a very dangerous thing for us werewolves, as it could do a lot of damage into our system. Somehow, the hunters have found a way to use that against us. A few shots of silver bullets into a regular werewolf would result in an instant death, so we have to be careful here. We may be dealing with the hunters, but there are rogues everywhere, and they could come at us from any direction. We have to be alert.

Shao waits for my instructions. I take a deep breath and open my eyes, looking at the wrapped vines that block the way. The string that connects Ethan and I are, again, faded but I can still feel him around. With his wound, he wouldn't be able to run faster than he used to. I've seen how hurt he is, which means the silver bullet has gotten into system, and he needs to be tended as soon as possible.

My heart breaks at the thought of my mate limping as he walks; he's in so much pain right now, but he never wants to come home due to him being extraordinary. I wish I could do anything to ease his pain. I wish I could have been there when he needed me, even though he wasn't asking for it. All this time, he needed help and I was too blind to see it. I was too blind to see him for who he is. I couldn't accept him, and now, I'm paying the price because of how selfish I've been.

"Shao, we need to cut down that vine." I tell him, standing up and gaining my strength. "We need to get him as soon as possible. Otherwise, he's going to be in a lot of trouble. He's hurt, and he needs immediate help. We're not going home until we find my mate. I hope all of you are okay with that."

"Of course, Leon." Shao tells me as he salutes. "We understand how important your mate is, and we'd be happy to help you on your quest to have your mate back. After all, two Alphas in one pack are better than none. Please know that your pack warriors are always here to help you, and the pack."