Chapter 14

LEON ADLER

When the hunters revealed themselves, I figure that this is the danger that Ethan has been referring to. These hunters look different. They are buffed, huge muscles, with their veins almost popping out as they look at us menacingly. They don't carry their scents. They don't have any particular scents. Normally, they would smell like dirt, probably from going in and out of the woods.

The hunters have their weapons on them. They have guns, axes, machetes, and their suits are made of metal. Silver. Its scent is so strong that it's making me nauseous. With them wearing that type of armor, it'd be hard for us to fight and do real damage.

My eyes flicker to my mate and his parents, who are as shocked and scared as me. We've been expecting confrontation ever since we decided to go to the unknown and find my mate's real identity. We came for answers, and we were about to find them out when we found his parents, but these morons came out looking for blood.

Ethan's face is contorted into fear, but his eyes have fire in them. He wants blood. He wants revenge. He's angry. He's scared but angry. Realization clicks in me. His parents left him so he could be safe. They probably used their ability to make everyone believe that they died and that there was no reason to search for them, and probably, they had already seen how capable my pack is. Had they seen me as their son's mate?

I look at Ethan's parents. Elliot and Elena. Ethan's features are more of his dad, but his eyes and lips, he definitely got it from his mother. Elliot's hair is blonde, but while his is pure, Ethan's hair is dirty – a mixture of brunette and blonde. His jaw is sharper than Ethan's, and his eyes are striking blue. Ethan's eyes are brown, chestnut. Ethan's eyes become more beautiful when a ray of sun reaches it.

Then their eyes become yellow, and everyone is in their semi-werewolf form. The hunters bellow in laughter as if we're some sort of joke to them. Apollo, my wolf, is growling on the inside, trying to take over but I keep him at bay. This is not the time for Apollo to let loose. I have three direct descendants of the Goddess here ­– lightbringers. And while I have a blood of an Alpha, something tells me that these three are leading.

On my count. On three, we attack.

Elliot's voice rings in my head. I turn to look at him, keeping my face neutral, though internally I'm surprised. No one outside the pack has had the ability to communicate mentally, and this is the first. Ethan and I haven't had the chance to talk through mind-link, but it was my fault since I didn't want to talk to him before.

One. Two... Three.

Elliot practically screams. Elena uses some sort of magic to protect us from the bullets when the hunters start to open fire. Elliot, who is super fast (and I have theory that he basically teleports), is suddenly in front of the melee hunters and kicks them. He hisses when his barefoot comes in contact with the silver armor but grins when they come flying backwards.

I let Apollo take over, who obliges happily.

Elena turns her focus on me and does some weird magic. Some sort of force field wraps me like a cocoon. My eyes flicker to my mate. Ethan looks so good. I know it's now the time to gush about how awesome and cool my mate is. If I were to look back a month ago, decided that I'd reject him, I wouldn't have these great things and I would be miserable. As if on instinct, my mate looks at me and that's enough signal for Apollo to kick some ass.

4 years ago, I had my first encounter with the hunters. Real encounter. I was on a run with the pack warriors along with my dad. The run is part of the training. It's supposed to improve our stamina, build stronger instinct, and to be more aware of the surrounding through the nature. Through our paws. It was night time, around 8, and while the moon wasn't full, we felt stronger as we were running with the elite warriors of the pack. When my dad stopped leading the pack from running, I already knew what was going on. My dad this look on his face that told me we were in danger, but he also had this confidence emanating off of him. He was confident that the hunters made a huge mistake. I looked up at my dad with amazement and thought to myself: Wow, this is the Alpha I want to be when I overtake the role from him.