Chapter 2

LEON ADLER

"Are you going to be just fine?" My mom asks me as she runs her hand across my back, her voice calming me as she gives me a motherly smile.

Today is my birthday, which means that I'll have to make a big decision today that would change me forever in any form. My parents, who have been aware of my condition since I was a kid, makes sure that I'd be okay today; they have been waiting for this moment, too. Not only I would "meet" my mate, but I'm supposed to begin the Alpha training to prepare for the inevitable: Alpha role. A role that I would take over soon from my father once he steps down.

"I'm going to be just fine, mom." I tell her with a sigh, my heart beating rapidly against my chest. "A bit nervous, but I'm okay."

"Relax," my mom muses as she pinches my cheek, a thing she always does since I was a kid. The habit never really stops, even when I told her a couple of times. "You know that your father and I love you so much, right? And whatever your decision is, whatever it may be, we'd support you. We'd be beside you. Family, right?"

"Yeah, family."

She kisses my cheek before she proceeds to get out of my room. I take a look at myself in the mirror for the last time before I go out there and start getting showered with birthday wishes and "mate messages", which I don't want to hear.

My mind wanders to a dangerous area, to the person who makes this all complicated. Ethan Kennedy. The more I think about him, the louder my heart pounds. Is he even aware that it's my birthday today? Does he know that his life is about to change in a matter of hours?

Ethan Kennedy is something else. I know I've been saying I loathe him, but do I really hate him that much? Deep in my heart, I know I'm just being stupid. I've been looking for answers about how I got here; about how I was given the knowledge to know my mate as early as a kid. For some reason, my heart sinks at the thought of him. Ethan Kennedy is just a victim here as well, but why am I blaming for everything?

Am I really that stupid?

Sighing, I shut my eyes for a couple of sends and take a deep breath. I can't make a stupid decision today. If I make irrational decision today, many would suffer; not just me, not just my parents, not just Ethan, pretty much everyone.

But am I really ready to accept the fact that I have a male mate?

The answer is completely no. I'm not ready in any way or form. And to be honest, I'm not sure how long it would take for me to consider that it's all right to have a male mate. My parents said they would support me, and I couldn't care less about what others think. But I have dreams, too. As much as possible, I want to have my dreams while supporting my pack, while being an Alpha. Is that too much to ask?

If I choose and accept Ethan Kennedy as my mate, I'd lose a chance to have my own real family – a wife and my own pups. If I don't choose him, I'd have to bear the knowledge that he'd die because of me.

A knock on the door interrupts me from my thoughts.

"Alpha – "

"What did I tell everyone?" I interrupt the female attendant, turning around and facing her. She drops her head and I let out another sigh.

"Not to call you Alpha, but Leon. I apologize."

"That's all right."

"The Alpha and Luna request your presence." The attendant says as she clasps her hands in front of her, sporting a bright smile towards me. "Your party is about to start."