Chapter 8

LEON ADLER

"Do you have an idea where these shrines are?"

Ethan shakes his head as he lets out a shaky breath, his hair a bit disheveled. We just woke up in the middle of the night, so we can prepare for our departure without anyone noticing. If my mom and dad know of the place, they wouldn't let us leave and my mate will be forced to leave without me, and I can't simply let that happen.

His shirt is wrinkled from turning around in his sleep, and there's a dry stained of saliva near the edge of his lips. I chuckle, reaching out with my thumb to wipe it off. Ethan looks at me and blushes, looking down. My heart tugs at the innocent gesture.

"You were to go north, right? Maybe we can start there."

"Are you really sure you want to come with me?" My mate asks me as he grabs a hold of my hand.

Ethan has a worried expression on his face, probably because he knows that I'm an Alpha and I've got a pack to lead. But I'm ready to throw that away if Ethan is not going to be beside me. I know there are Alphas who are willing to sacrifice everything just to protect their pack, but in my case, I'm different. If Ethan will stay here, then I guess I can do that.

We all have choices that may seem wrong as normality has already been set and decided by the society, but I couldn't care less on that. I want my mate, and I'll do everything just to protect him. I have already wasted years by denying that I didn't know him, that I wasn't aware of him being my mate, and I'm not going to waste more time. This time, I'm going to be with him throughout his journey whatever it takes.

"Ethan, we've talked about this."

"I know," Ethan moves forward and puts his hand on my check affectionately, looking at me with emotions swimming in his beautiful eyes. He rests his forehead against mine, his thumb drawing circles on my cheek. "I just want to make sure you're okay with this, and that you're not forced to do this. If you don't come, that's okay, I promise you, I'll come back for you."

Grabbing his hand, I give him a small smile and shake my head. "Ethan, wherever you go, I'll follow you. I'm not forced here, I promise you that. I just want to accompany and support my mate whenever he goes, and if he wants to find answers or discovers a part of himself, I'll always be there. I've wasted a lot of time, Ethan, and I'm not going to make the same mistake. Ethan Kennedy, I accept you as my mate. I should have said that a long time ago, but I guess I was born dumb." I chuckle.

"Thank you, Leon."

It's already just past midnight, around 2 in the morning. There are a few patrols roaming around the area, and since I was the one who made their routine, I know which section of our territory they should be checking. We've already packed, and the bags we're bringing are quite big. There's a bunch of clothes folded neatly and placed inside, and we've got a few wads of cash just in case. We're going to take the high road as it will be easier and less chance of meeting other packs. I'm going to bring my old truck that I usually use to go to the city and buy stuff.

I know I can simply just tell the pack warriors that I'm just going to go somewhere, but we're bringing a lot of stuff, so it'd be quite suspicious. The lesser people see us, the less suspicion it would bring.

Loading the truck with our things, I motion for Ethan to come follow me. Ethan looks to his left and right, trying to sense if there's a werewolf doing a patrol near us, and I just smile at my mate. My mate is surely an expert in hiding and camouflaging, and no wonder it took me a lot of time to find him. If it weren't for the strings connecting us, I doubt I would have already found him.