Chapter 9

LEON ADLER

We make a few stops – at Gogama, Timmins, and Driftwood. The final stop is Driftwood, and we have to leave the car and take the forest once again. Ethan holds my hand, and I can feel his trembling fingers against mine. We've travelled 600 kilometers just to get to our last stop, and it took us almost 7 hours to arrive here, and now we have to go through the jungle to arrive at Kesagami as there's no road that we can take to drive there. We've also eaten up the chips and drunk the water we've bought.

Parking the truck in the forest to make sure that no one's going to see my truck, Ethan lets out a sigh and puts a hand on his chest. I can tell how nervous he is. I give him a reassuring smile, squeezing his hand. My mate looks at me with relief crossing on his face, and squeezes my hand back.

"How are you feeling?" I ask him.

My mate remains quiet for a moment before letting out another sigh. I can tell how much this is stressing him. He feels there's an answer waiting for us at Kesagami, but at the same time, there's uncertainty. We're not sure if one of the shrines is in there, but we have to at least look.

"I don't know. Scared, confused, I guess."

Smiling at him, I squeeze his hand again. "That's okay. I'm here."

"Thank you," Ethan gives me a smile that has my heart racing, then he leans down to plant a gentle kiss on my lips. I shut my eyes, savoring the taste of his lips. Ethan pulls away and cups my face. "I'm glad you're here with me."

"I have to." I chuckle, flicking his forehead. "Otherwise, you'd runaway, and I can't afford that, can I? You're my runaway mate."

"Is that really you speaking? What did you do to Leon?" he teases.

Suddenly, I'm thrown back to the time where I was ignoring him. Ethan has always been the bubbly kid, and he is likened by everyone. Although at the time, I had not been much around his presence, I knew he left a big impact to the people who really know him when he left. Seriously, why have I not seen how beautiful and amazing my mate is?

Anyone who's anyone would be happy to have him as their mate because he's a wonderful guy, and not just because of how powerful he is. Despite that fact, he remains humble and easy, and he thinks of the well-being of the people he considers as family.

Ethan Kennedy deserves to be mated to someone better.

The more I think about of the past, the more I realize that I don't deserve this precious bean sitting beside me at all. Ethan deserves someone who would take care of him and not treat him like shit. He deserves to be loved. He's too pure for this world, and I'm so glad that he's my mate. Although I've been a bad mate to him.

My mate senses what I'm thinking, so he just leans down and buries his face in the crook of my neck, his arms wrapping around my waist. I smell his hair, loving how it smells like strawberry.

"I know you still think of the past, and how it replays in your head,"

"Do you still see it, like with your power?" I ask him, my voice below a whisper. I feel ashamed.

He shakes his head. "I don't need to even if I do have that power." Ethan chuckles, looking at me through his lashes. He cups my face, his thumbs running circles on my chest. He looks at me with so much adoration that it makes my heart skip a beat. "I've always known Leon Adler ever since he was a kid. From the way he breathes, the way his face crunches up, the way his left eye twitches when he's pissed, and the blank expression he always wears when he's feeling anything but happiness, I know what he thinks and feels. I know it when you're sad. I know it when you're angry. I know it when you're happy. I know it when you're feeling like the world is against you. Your parents are not the only one watching you as you grew up. I've always been there."