Twenty

XX: #FormerRichGirlProblems

I HAD NEVER FELT SO IN PEACE BEFORE. Waking up next to Cole--still in my (now wrinkled) dress and his wine satin tux--out on the deck spread out on patio chairs was surreal. As soon as my eyelids fluttered open to take in the clear blue sky high above me, I turned and saw Cole's sleeping figure. When he woke up he gave me the most blinding smile and then teased me about my frizzy hair.

We sailed back to the dock and drove in groggy silence back to the Hastings' lands. I blushed scarlet red when we walked in hand-in-hand and everyone eyed us with undisguised interest. Hannah even let out an impressive wolf whistle.

After changing into another Hannah hand picked outfit and packing my things back up, I went into Cole's room to wait for him to get ready.

Our entire group received a teary goodbye. Hugged, squeezed, and kissed to an inch of our lives by Isobel, we were guilt tripped into promising to visit again soon. Scott gave me a big hug and told me he'd come out to see me when he was doing business in the city. I even got a smile from Dahlia.

As we drove out of the vineyard, I realized how much I would miss these lands. The fresh air, the sunrise rides--all of it. I would miss Scott and everyone. But this trip meant a lot to me because I was finally with Cole.

Just as he'd said. I guess there is such a thing as a sacred pinky-promise.

BY THE TIME WE HAD MADE IT BACK TO THE CITY, it was nearing midnight. Cole's arm was lazily draped around me and my eyelids were struggling to stay open.

The car slowed and Cole helped me out. Then he scooped me up from the back of my knees and took me all the way up to my room.

I smiled a little when he laid me down on my feathered comforter. He made to pull away but my fingers tugged his.

"Stay."

Cole's deep chuckle made me smile, my eyes opening just a crack to see him take off his shirt one button at a time. His eyes met my own sleepy ones as he took off my heels.

Cole walked around the bed to my side and stared down at me with a curious look in his eye. Maybe I was dreaming it, but it looked like awe or hope, and as fast as it came it was gone.

His hands reached down to unbutton my shirt, and when he got to the last one he threw the flaps open. Cole coerced me up with a gently kiss to my collarbone followed by one on my lips. I followed his lips up, lifting just enough for him to free my arms of the material so I could wrap them around his neck.

I tugged, guiding him onto the bed. He gently lay over me, his lips soft and sweet against my own. He pulled back and turned onto his back beside me, his chest rising up and down.

I followed, my hands and lips making a trail up to his ear. I heard him groan a little and bit down on his ear lobe, "Goodnight."

I laughed a little at his heavy sigh and reached for a night shirt on the floor where I left it last. My shorts were kicked off and the soft cotton thrown over me before I settled in beside Cole.

Sleep soon found me, as did dreams of this man lying next to me.

I WOKE TO THE SCRATCH OF SCRUFF AGAINST MY NECK. I smiled when I felt soft lips press against my skin, my hands coming up to tangle in his hair.

"Morning," he said, the rumble of his voice tickling me a little.

"Hi," I said as Cole pulled back to look at me.

He lied down, his head resting against his arm looking at me with a smile. Absentmindedly stroking my hair, he asked. "So what's on the agenda today?"