Thirty Four

OMFG GUUUUYS THIS HERE STORY HAS JUST SURPASSED ITS MILLIONTH MARK. I feel like Mr. Krabs when he's dancing with his millionth dollar, this is so cool. STG took weeks after I finished it to reach a million reads so I'm infinitely happy right now. It's definitely helping the post-Euro and post-English lit exam depression. I have one more exam left then I can finally sleep!

XXIV: Truth

THE CALLS KEPT COMING IN. The press was asking for a statement on the scene Cole caused last night. But I just had nothing to say.

Elle, Max, and Felicity had run off after him. He was too drunk to function and a hazard to himself. Meanwhile Francis was assuring guests that the situation had been dealt with, I stood outside with Wren. We were out there for hours, just sitting amongst the field of poppies. He didn't ask questions, for which I was thankful.

He didn't say anything.

THE NEXT FEW DAYS WERE HECTIC. The art was selling like crazy, magazines wanting an exclusive interview with me about my vision of White Lies. Considering how things at the opening had gone, this was definitely more than I had expected. I was a headliner on blogs and newspapers, my gallery and fresh new art splashed all over social media.

It was great news. And it kept me busy. Distracted.

Elle has called half a dozen times to apologize for leaving before she could present her collection of early paintings. I just had Francis take a message and assure her it was fine. And it was. Cole needed them more than I did.

Now a week later, I'm hard at work organizing the opening of White Lies to the general public the following Monday.

"Poppy?" Francis said knocking briefly and opening the door. "You have someone here wanting to speak to you."

"Just send Wren in," I said without looking up from my computer screen.

"It's not Wren, actually. It's Felicity Prescott" I sighed and laid back against my chair.

"Alright, send her in I suppose." Francis nodded and a moment later, guided Felicity into my office.

"Felicity, hi."

"I'm going to stop you right there. You've avoided me long enough, time to get serious."

I pulled off my glasses and covered my face with my hands. "What is it, Felicity? I'm sorry I haven't been able to get back to you, but I don't want to talk about what happened."

"Well that's unfortunate, but you're going to have to." Felicity came around my desk and pulled me up to my feet. "Come on, we're leaving."

"But I'm not done with--"

"I don't care, Poppy. There's someone we have to go see."

"Who?" Felicity ignored me and instead busied herself with getting my coat and bag.

"Oh so now you want to talk?" She said with an eye roll. "Well now I don't. So stop talking and let's go."

"First tell me where we're going."

"I'm not taking you to see Cole, Poppy." I physically relaxed and nodded.

"Okay."

Felicity smiled, "Let's get going, it's a bit of a drive."

WE DROVE FOR OVER AN HOUR. We had left the city, the state, and now we were in New Jersey. I had only been to NJ a handful of times, but the roads here were long and empty. The space between houses kept growing until we didn't see any more for miles.

The only experience I have in Jersey is Mercer Manor, with its expansive greenery and cobblestone paths. This wasn't entirely different. Just up ahead was what looked like a castle, one entire side of it covered in ivy.