Eighteen Part II

*****READ THE AUTHORS NOTES, I promise they're worth your time [wink].

XVIII: Fire & Ice (cont.)

THE PLACE LOOKED LOVELY. Isobel and Cole's staff had really pulled through for the couple, giving them what will be the most talked about engagement party of the year.

I was currently hanging out with Hannah in one of the tables. She was telling me about Tripp, the (ex)boyfriend, and how they'd met. Apparently Elle had introduced them last year and he was her escort to Cotillion. It sounded sweet, except for their unhealthy passive aggressiveness. Just hearing a few stories of the times they had ended things due to a little misunderstanding only to get back together the next day and made me dizzy. It seemed like a lethal relationship, the kiss of death. And they were only fifteen, I can't even imagine what they'd be like as adults [A/N: I love giving hints. Guess where Hannah's story will start ;P Predictions?]

"Poppy," I heard my name called behind me. I turned in my seat to eye a smiling Scott wearing a simple black tux. "Can I offer you a drink?"

Hannah eyed me stand with a glint in her eyes. "Sorry, Hannah. But I'm gonna steal Poppy for a few."

"Take her for as long as you want, brother dearest." I laughed nervously and let Scott walk me towards the bar.

"So when do you leave?" Scott asked after a second.

I looked away, "Tomorrow night."

"I could visit you some time, you know, if that's okay?" I forced my gaze up to meet his and a small smile curved on my lips.

"Of course, I'd love that."

"Yeah?" Scott said kind of surprised. "Okay, yeah. I'l visit you then. So sweet, girly, and barely alcoholic right?" he teased as we took a seat on adjacent stools.

I bit my lip to keep from laughing, "Yes please. I'd like to be stone cold sober tonight."

Before Scott could order my drink, however, a voice beside him said, "She'll have a Cosmo."

I jumped off the stool and hugged Felicity tight. "What are you doing here?"

"Ouch," she said with mock hurt, "I'll leave then!"

"I only ask because I know you aren't on best terms with the bride. Or the groom for that matter." Felicity grimaced and flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"Yeah well, I'm here with my boss."

"I'm sorry, did I hear right?" I said incredulously. Felicity gave me a pointed look and placed her hands on her slim hips.

"Laugh it up all you want, but I'm a working girl now." I shook my head, amused at the thought. Felicity Prescott working? It was so obtuse!

"You'll have to introduce us then," I said before looking over at a silent Scott. "Speaking of which, how incredibly rude of me. Felicity Prescott, meet Scott Hastings."

Felicity looked over and gave him a flat smile. "Oh, we've met."

"Oh. How?" I wondered out loud. Yes, they were both heirs to immensely large fortunes, but they were from different places. New York and California might as well be worlds apart.

"We were once in the same wedding party." Felicity said with a glare at Scott. I raised my eyebrows in shock but smartly kept my mouth shut. There seemed to be more to that then Felicity was leading on, both about her new job and about knowing Scott but for now I let it go. Instead I accepted the drink the bartender offered and sat back down.

"If you have a sec, I'll introduce you now?"

I looked over at Scott and he held up his drink, "Don't worry about me. I'll be here."