Sixteen

XIV: Say Yes to the Dress

SOMETHING WAS PRESSING INTO MY SIDE. Painful and annoying, whatever it is aroused me from my slumber to find a more comfortable position. I tried stretching but my foot cuaght on something. Huh?

My fingers reached out in search of the sheets I had probably kicked off in the middle of the night but came up empty. My eyes flew open at the sound of a sleepy sigh besides me.

I sprang up and looked around with tired eyes.  We were still in Cole's car, the seat pushed back all the way, my body facing his as if we had fallen asleep talking that way.

I look around, taking in the sight of open land and the sounds of nature. My head rolled up to stare at the lightening sky, and a incredulous chuckle left my lips. I had no idea where we were, and the thought both frightened and excited me. That, this feeling of uncertainty and unpredictableness, is the essence of Cole. 

He stirred beside me and with a groan he sat up groggily. "Morning, Miss Poppy."

I laughed again and covered my face with my hands. "Ugh this was ill-adviced!"

"What was?"

I peaked at him through the crack between my fingers. "This?"

He smiled, "Which part?"

"Staying out all night, eating twice my body weight in french fries, being here with you when I'm supposed to be avoiding you...take your pick."

Cole relaxed back and propped his head up with his hands. "All the good things in life, I'd say. Food, adventure," he said glancing over at me with that smirk of his, "and some forbidden fruit."

I rolled my eyes. "I think we should get back now."

Cole eyed the clock, "We can probably fit in a few more hours of sleep before the engagement madness begins."

"All you need is a tux. And you have a million of those."

He looked at me with a skeptical look. "Speak for yourself, Poppy. Mine needs to be tailored."

"So you're going into town with us?"

"Nah. Going with the guys tomorrow."

I looked at the time. "Lucky. You get to go back to sleep."

"Who says? I'm helping Maxton pick out a wedding gift for Elle today. And apparently I'm supposed to help the Mrs. with her meticulous planning."

"You got roped in to helping. How'd that happen?"

"No clue. One moment I'm bidding Isobel a good morning and the next I'm volunteering one of my hotels for the party. She apparently doesn't want to make the guests drive all the way up to the vineyard but rather to a more urban place."

"Makes sense, I suppose," I said softly. I was more preoccupied by the gesture. That was incredibly sweet of him to help out Max's stepmother with the engagement party.

We pulled into the Hastings mansion with the grey sky still covering us. We climbed out of the flashy car and I waved at him shyly. "Thanks for the food run."

He stared at me fighting off a smile. "Thanks for agreeing."

"See you later, then?" I said once I we were standing outside my door.

He nodded, "Enjoy dress shopping."

I rolled my eyes, "Like that's even possible."

I opened the door and stepped inside, closing the door in his amused face mid laugh. I leaned back on the closed door with my eyes closed, biting back a huge smile. He really was quite charming, and I was no match for it. I was still as effected by his smiles and his liquid-fire gaze as the day I set eyes on him at that Christmas party.