Seventeen

*****Stealing the Groom and Max fans, all I gotta say is that you're gonna like this chapter ;) Vote if you do!

XVII: Monkey Suits

I SLEPT IN THAT MORNING, hoping to avoid Cole and his incessant teasing. By the time I'd dragged myself out of bed it was a quarter past noon and the house was empty. Everyone had gone into town to prepare for tomorrow night's event.

Breakfast, or at least what had been left over, was laid out on the bar. I ate my reheated coffee and pancakes in peace out on the patio, enjoying the landscape. Sitting out there reminded me of Mina, of when I would read to her drinking tea and crumpets (Mina was always looking for a chance to play the role of Queen and I of a lady-in-waiting).

Thoughts of her jovial laugh and smile filled my mind, inspiring hot tears to flow from my closed lids.

"You ok?" A voice said behind me. I sniffled once and wiped my face free of tears.

"Hey Scott," I said with a smile. His eyes registered my teary ones but said nothing as he sat down across from me.

"I figured everyone had gone to town. Weren't you supposed to go with the guys and get a tux?"

Scott scoffed, "I have exactly four of those monkey suits. One for weddings, one for funerals, one for meetings, and one for events like tomorrow."

I laughed and he continued. "Max and his city friends are so big on their million dollar suits. I guess I just don't have a purpose for Armani out in the stables."

"I know what you mean, I've been forced into dresses with more zeros than the rent I used to pay for my flat for half the year."

"So say no."

"Hmm?" I said looking up in surprise.

"If you don't want to dress like that then say no."

"Who says I don't want to?"

Scott's gaze didn't waiver for a second, "You said the word 'forced.'"

"Yeah, I guess I did." I looked down at my half eaten breakfast, ashamed to look into his eyes. Afraid that he'd see the longing in mine. One has forced me to do anything, I've been forcing myself. All this time I've wanted to be like them, to fit in for once in my life, and so I've let them transform my wardrobe. But yesterday when I met Vivianne that even dressed in silk, I am still just some London beggar.

I'm not the type of girl that gets the guy, I'm not even supposed to be the one who gets to meet fabulous people like Cole and Elle. By some luck I've gotten into the inner circle, and I feel like I can belong there.

"Wanna go riding?" Scott's voice snapped me out of my trance.

"Oh, yeah. Sure." We stood and together walked in peaceful silence out to the stables.

OUR SECOND TRIP AROUND THE LANDS WAS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST. Scott took me to where they produce the wine and we sampled fresh batches.

Scott I think sensed my somber thoughts and made it his goal to make me laugh and enjoy myself. For a while we helped pick grapes, I was taken on a tour of the winery, and finally he taught me how to taste wine like a real connoisseur.

We got back to the house around five and everyone was still out.

Listening to the soothing music of greats like Ella Fitzgerald and The Mamas and Papas, I helped Scott cook dinner.

"Comfort food it is," Scott said as he looked inside the refrigerator and came up empty. "I make the best mac 'n' cheese this side of the Mississippi. Get prepared to fall in love, Poppy."