Two

II: Not Guilty

"I HEREBY DECLARE THE DEFENDANT NOT GUILTY" I let out a breath of air I hadn't realized I was holding and slumped down into my chair. Turning to face my attorney, I gave Remy a relieved smile which she returned with a cocky glint in her eye.

"Never lost a case yet, Poppy. Told you not to worry!" I opened my mouth to respond when suddenly my attention was yanked in the direction of the opposing side. 

"What?!" Olivia Richmond-Prescott hissed as she stood. She pointed a deadly finger in my direction and I instinctively flinched at the menacing look on her face. "You little--"

"Come on, Poppy. Let's get you out of here before things escalate." I nodded and followed Remy out, but not before glancing worriedly behind myself one last time. Her family was gathered around Olivia, trying to calm her down.

Almost as if he sensed me staring, Cole looked up and met my gaze with a glare. I froze on the spot, never having had felt that much loath directed at me, and was powerless to do or say anything. Some voice in my head told me I should just leave, but I couldn't. 

"Poppy?" Remy asked as she lightly touched my elbow. My eyes flew between Remy's warm look and Cole's icy glare. "We have to go."

I sent him an apologetic gaze and allowed Remy to lead me out of the courtroom. 

"What's the matter, Poppy? You should be happy. We won." I nodded but I didn't feel all that victorious. I'd inflicted pain on their entire family, the news of Mina's inheritance must have been a terrible shock, especially so soon after her death. 

"Remy," I said hesitantly. 

"Yes?" she responded as she fixed a few files into her briefcase. 

"I-I don't think I want it anymore. The money, I mean. Is there any way you could help me to legally sign off the inheritance back to the Richmonds?"

Remy looked up in surprise. "I'm just your lawyer today, and as such I can say that decision isn't in your best interest. You've just won the trial not even five minutes ago. Let it sink in for a few days, and if you still feel the same then I'll draw up the paperwork. Does that sound okay?"

I nodded and smiled in thanks. My eyebrows shot up in amusement as I watched Sebastian Gates approach us. The Richmond attorney eyed me with uncertainty before giving me a nod in acknowledgement and turning to face Remy. I looked on with interest as the two locked gazes and seemed to radiate awkwardness. "Can--Can I speak to you for a second, Ms. West?" 

The curiosity inside me built as my eyes took in Remy's faint blush as she tried to play it cool and professional. "Of course, Mr. Gates. Just give me a moment to bid my client farewell." 

"Take your time...I suppose I'll meet you outside?" Remy nodded and bit down on her lip as we both watched him walk away. 

"Somebody say 'conflict of interests'?" I teased as I fought the laughter at the dreamy look on Remy's face. 

"No, don't be ridiculous Poppy! He's a colleague, an old friend from law school. Perhaps he wants to discuss the case."

"Or," I said with a snicker, "He wants to shack up, I mean catch up! You are old friends, aren't you?" Remy rolled her eyes at me. 

"Fine, so we were a tad bit more than friends, but that was years ago! Granted we hadn't seen one another until this morning but we ended things then. We're over it."

"You sure about that? Because that heated look in there says otherwise."

"What heated look?" Remy gasped in outrage.