Thirty Five

A/N: This is the last chapter of SWK (plus an epilogue!). I just want to say thanks to every person that followed this story to the end. You all mean the world to me. XoXo 💋

XXXV: Sealed With a Kiss

I WAS SICK WITH NERVES. Standing on the steps of Mercer Manor, I could barely make it up to the double doors. A maid holding a tray full of glasses offered me some champagne, which I gratefully accepted, and swallowed in one gulp.

Placing the glass back on her tray with a thankful smile, I took a deep breath and walked through the threshold. My white shift dress I wore to work stood out like a sore thumb amongst the sea of chiffon and silk. Everyone, dressed so elegantly, eyed me with curiosity as I swept my eyes around looking for one mop of messy blond hair.

I spotted him in the ballroom, sitting at the bar. Watching him across the room, he looked so defeated. Resigned. We have both hurt each other so deeply, can we ever overcome the lies and the distrust? Our cuts will heal with time, but I'm beginning to think it will leave a scar.

My steps slowed the closer I got to the bar. I had a weird sense of déjà vu. We were here again where it all began, at Mercer Manor. Here again, will we come to an end, put our story to rest? There's so many unanswered questions, but I owe it to him, to us, to finally listen.

"This seat taken?"

Cole jerked to attention, his eyes swooping up in surprise. He watched me sit on the stool without a word, wariness seeping from his icy blue orbs.

I sat awkwardly, sweeping my sweaty hands down my dress, smoothing away invisible wrinkles. To distract myself, I focused my gaze on his drink, on the nervous clicking sound of his ring hitting the glass.

"What's your poison?" I said, stealing his first words to me. It had been so long ago, but here we were again, our roles reversed.

Cole sighed, rubbing his stubble with his ring hand. "Club soda, actually. I'm laying off of alcohol for a while."

The bartender appeared before us, and to buy myself some time, I ordered a dirty martini. He placed it in front of me on the bar and left quickly, probably sending the tension between Cole and I.

"What are you doing here?" He asked softly.

I played with the stem of the glass, avoiding his gaze. "I was invited."

"I mean here, with me."

I pushed the glass aside and turned in my stool to meet his gaze. "We need to talk."

His blues eyes showed his shock, but he didn't say anything, simply nodded and stood. "Okay."

I stood also and led the way out of the ballroom to a more quiet hallway. Turning back to look at him, I watched him shove his hands into the pockets of his dress pants and lean against the wall. "What did you need to talk about?"

I released the breath I was holding and leaned against the wall beside him. "I know about the contract, I know you signed off your fortune to your mother."

"Poppy--"

I held up my hand, "I'm not finished." He shut his mouth and nodded, letting me continue.

"I know you were a part of Olivia's schemes from the beginning. I know you were in on the plot to take back Mina's money, I know that from the phone call I overheard." I stopped to pushed off the wall and eye him. "But what I don't know is when you began to defy your mother."

He opened his mouth to speak but just then a couple woman passed by the hall, giggling and eyeing Cole with undisguised interest. "Maybe this isn't the best place to talk."