Twenty Six Pt. I

XXVI: Bubble

I HARDLY SLEPT LAST NIGHT--I was much too nervous. I was sick with nerves, with anticipation. Maybe this will work, after all this is what I wanted. He chose me over her.

Cole said he had to take care of some things, and I can't help but think that Gemma is on the To Do list. The curiosity was killing me, but I know better than to ask.

Frankly, I had a lot to deal with too. The construction for my gallery was nearly compete, and the decorators would soon sweep in to make my vision a reality. I had left my assistant in charge and was to email me every night on the progress.

Ingrid was more than happy to be woken up by my pacing and ruckus. She walked in on me dragging my suitcase out from the closet at midnight and cheerfully helped me pack my things. I didn't know where we were going so I called Hannah and Elle for reinforcement. They told me to go with the basics and if there was anything else I needed we could buy it there.

At half past one, I lay in bed freshly showered with my bags packed and waiting in front of the closet. My body was exhausted from such a long day, but my mind was working overtime.

It wasn't until after three that I was able to drift to sleep. The ping of an incoming message however, woke me as soon as I'd been able to dose off.

I can't wait for tomorrow. Or today depending on if you've slept at all.
-C

Today. I can't sleep
-P

He responded right away.

Me either. A certain redhead is keeping me up.
-C

I smiled and just as I was thinking of what to say he sent another text.

Btw we're going somewhere hot. I won't be the only thing getting you all hot and bothered. The humidity is pretty bad.
-C

I tried muffling my laughter into my pillow.

-.- Alright enough. I need sleep. Don't dare arrive at my doorstep at an ungodly hour.
-P

Sweet dreams

A moment later his second message popped up on my screen and I rolled my eyes.

I know I will.
-C

I tucked my phone under my pillow and curled deeper into the warmth of my duvet.

With my head swimming in thoughts of his icy blues and my heart swelling with hope, I finally found sleep.

I FELT A SOFT TOUCH ON MY CHEEK. "Wake up," Cole said in his amused voice.

"No," I groaned. "Leave me alone."

He laughed and I could practically imagine him rolling his eyes.

"We landed," he said in a singsong voice. "Aren't you curious?"

I huffed and swatted his hand away from my hair. "Don't touch me."

"Grumpy Poppy, hmmm. Not sure I like her."

My eyes flew open when I felt a blindfold wrap around my head. "What are you doing?"

"You had your chance to see where we were. Now it's a surprise."

I felt him place something around my shoulder but I was too tired to mind. He had woken me up at seven in the morning to drive out to where he keeps Marvin. I've been asleep since.

"C'mon, get up Poppy." I groaned and held my arms out for him to take. Cole laughed and carried me in his arms out of my seat and off of the jet.

Or at least that's what I think happened since I can't see past the material of the blindfold. He put me down on my feet and took my hand as we walked ahead, making sure that I didn't trip over anything.

"You're big on blindfolds. Aren't you a little worried that I'll scream kidnap through the airport?"

"Would you?" I heard him ask.

"Hmm maybe if I wasn't so tired."

"Well good for me I already took care of that."

"What--how?" I said a little louder now that we were in the middle of the airport. The buzz around us was chaotic.

I could hear the smile in his voice. "Never mind."

I heard a few people clap and the sound of cameras flashing , causing my curiousity to flourish. "What's happening?"

"Oh nothing," Cole murmured into my ear. "You know, just another one of those corny airport scenes."

I hear a chorus of awws and my inner romantic was instantly disappointed that I couldn't see the scene that unfolded.

Cole pulled me along and soon we were out of the airport and leaning against the leather interior of a car, speeding away.

The car ride was long, punctuated by stops and honks from impatient drivers. We must be in a very metropolitan place, I thought as I leaned against the cool window. Cole had been right, the humidity and the heat had made itself known. By now my hair was probably a frizzy mess but the coolness inside the car made up for it a little.

With the distraction of soft jazz playing in the speakers, Cole and I sat silent through the car ride. It wasn't uncomfortable though. It was pleasant and relaxing.

The car slowed, and before I knew it Cole was pulling me out into the warm breeze of the night.

"Okay, we're here. Ready to see where we are?"

I stood listening to the sounds of life surrounding me, but it was different this time than when he took me to Chicago. Where was the smell of car exhaust, the bustle of pedestrians, the honk horns, the cry of sirens? Now I was very curious.

"You haven't the clue where we are, do you?" Cole asked beside me.

I shook my head. "I don't want to be cliché with you. We could be in Fiji or Monte Carlo right now, but I wanted to bring you somewhere memorable. Somewhere where you can laugh and I can listen to jazz."

I felt him behind me, loosing the blindfold. "What better place than here?"

I blinked, my eyes slowly coming into focus on the scene before me. We were standing on a sidewalk in front of a black iron fence. Behind it was the most picturesque sight.

A two floor town house looked like something out of a movie. Painted a lovely pink, it looked like a doll house with its ivory shutters and terrace.

"A-Are we in..."

"Oh yeah," Cole said excitedly. My eyes lit up as I looked around the neighborhood and my hand touched the railing.

"Welcome to New Orleans."

A/N: Short and sweet. Both of them are trying really hard, let's see if they can make it.

So the reason I chose New Orleans, Louisiana is because it's such an underrated city. They're actually in the French Quarter, which is the really historic part of New Orleans with the iconic architecture and fame. The house itself is outside of the main part of the city in whats knows as the Garden District. It was where the rich people went to build their estates away from the noise. Look up pictures if you're interested--it's stunning.

Plus if I had to write let alone make you read another story of a romantic getaway in either Europe or somewhere touristy and exotic I would kill myself. I hope some of you are pleasantly surprised that Cole thought outside the box. I'm going to love writing the New Orleans chapters, there's a certain scene that I've been counting down to and it's coming up soon.

If there are any of you that either live in Louisiana or have been to that side of New Orleans, drop me a comment!

Vote and comment! I love to hear your thoughts, especially because I'll need a break between homework #stillinHS #waiting4June