Thirteen

XIII: Black Dahlia

MAYBE I OVER PACKED, I thought staring at the two massive suitcases filled to the brim. Hannah had come over last night to help me choose what to take, but perhaps I should have just listened to my instinct and taken a couple pairs of shorts and flips flops instead of all the heel sandals and bikinis. 

Oh screw it! Hannah would have my head if I decided not to take everything she set aside, and I'd rather not risk her wrath for an entire week. Even the outfit I wore now was hand picked by my tyrant coach, but I have to admit I really quite like it. 

I wore jeans rolled up to my calves with a white blouse and a light blue blazer. If it wasn't for the nude peep-toe heels, I would say the outfit is ideal but I'll take what small victories I can get. 

"Miss Poppy," Ingrid said behind me. I turned and smiled at her. "There is a car out front waiting for you."

"Thank you," I said when she took my luggage and helped me down. I took one on the way down the stairs, ignoring her protests. 

Matthew saw us struggling to balance and sprang up to take the luggage from both of us. "Thanks Matt. Would you take those down the front steps please?"

He nodded and went off while I turned to Ingrid to say goodbye. She gave me a motherly hug and sighed, "Have fun, Miss Poppy."

I pulled back and gave her a small smile. Looking away to hide my eyes, I lied. "I will."

I know Cole is coming, and being near him just about tears me apart. Half of me wanted to take him up and jump head-first into this thing between us, but the other half knows it was a bad idea. She knew I'd only get hurt in the end. 

I opened the front door and walked down the steps but froze when I recognized the man leaning casually against the car looking every bit the California billionaire with his ankles crossed and his hands tucked in his pockets. Cole wore boat shoes, white pants, and a light blue button down. It almost looked as if we had coordinated our outfits. 

Cole looked up and smiled at me. "Hey, we match!" 

I rolled my eyes. "Not on purpose."

He pushed off the door and shrugged, "There's a little thing called fate, you know."

"Yeah, this isn't it. It's called a coincidence." 

"If you say so," he said coming forward. His hand touched the small of my back and he led me forward towards the car. "Remind me again why you picked me up instead of...anyone else?"

"I wanted to." 

I froze halfway into the car. It was such a simple answer, yet it held so much meaning it made my mouth dry and my palms sweat. 

Cole slipped into the car beside me and crossed his ankle over his knee, looking completely at ease as if he hadn't just said something loaded with so much meaning that I'll certainly spend the entire ride over-analyzing. 

To distract myself, I pulled out my phone and sent Elle a message. We're on route.

        ;P enjoy the ride

        i'm going to strangle you if you keep making innuendos this entire trip -.-

        Take it down a notch! I'm just teasing. But the chemistry between u guys is so intense!!! I mean, we all practically choke on the sexual tension whenever you're together.

        Alright I'm done. See you there.

I looked over at Cole. He was looking at something on his phone with raised eyebrows. "Hey, look at this."