Christmas Holidays

CHAPTER TEN: Christmas Holidays

"What villains are these that trespass upon my private lands! Who dares challenge, Sir Cadogan! Back, you scurvy braggarts! You rogues!"
Hermione rolled her eyes at the portrait hole," I've had enough of this already."
"Milady." He said as I stood there.
I looked at him," Don't start with me."
Ron gave the portrait a disgusted look as he guided Harry inside; since the carriage ride back his face as gone through a range of emotions from betrayal to anger then ending on distraught.
"I'll see you and Hadleigh tomorrow on the train – somehow, I don't think we will get that quiet year at Hogwarts we wanted." She sighed.
I put a supportive arm on her shoulder," I think as long as Harry has the abnormally large nose of his, quiet won't exist for us."
She nodded as we went into her Common Room, looking back to give one last friendly smile.

Continuing up the moving staircases, hopping off on the corridor that leads to Ravenclaw tower. With the bags, the trek up the stairs was harder than normal; at the top, the knocker appeared surprised at the sight of someone.
"Who makes it, but does not need for it. Who buys it, has no use for it? Who uses it can neither see nor feel it? What is it?"
My mind drew a blank.
"A cross?"
The knocker shakes his head, "Close."
"Erm." I moved my eyes as I thought of everything it couldn't be," A coffin?"

The knocker bowed its head, the large oak door swinging open – displaying the navy-blue room hidden behind it with the large Christmas tree as the centerpiece of the room.
Entering the common room, I went straight for my dorm – putting the gifts on the spare bed. I put the names tags on the presents, using a book to lean on, each label was written in cursive blue ink and wrapped in starry paper. Each box was put into my trunk, my clothes packed around them to keep them safe in the journey. In the top pocket of my coat, I kept Malfoy's present just in case I bumped into him before the train leaves later tonight.
Drizella yawned from my bed, scratching from behind her ear, I slide my trunk under my bed rolling on the balls of my feet to stand.
"Come on."

The common room felt wrong being this empty, Adrian was in the library study and Robb was running quidditch drills with the newest members of the team as well as the reserves.
On the notice board, I still wanted to rip it down - Montague was still on the team. He was egotistical and when he didn't get his way; he became violent –we all felt uncomfortable with him there but even I have to admit he's a good player when he's not out to kill you.

As soon as the doors opened, Drizella ran off – breaking me from my trance.
"Driz?" I yelled, running after her," Come back here!"

I ducked through the people coming back from Hogsmeade, weaving through as Drizella ran through people's legs.
"Drizella!" I yelled again as she went in the direction of the choir room," Why are you going there?"

At the top of the stairs, the tinkling of piano keys got louder. I stood by the door as Drizella curled up by the roaring fire in the corner. Not once have I seen him in such a state of concentration, in these moments it was like the world outside the choir room just didn't exist.
"Did you bribe my dog?" I spoke, announcing my presence.
Malfoy laughed," Bribe? I like to think of it as one-time employment."

I sat on the other end of the Piano bench, pressing the keys every now and then. On the top of the dark wood was a small box, in green paper and but Ravenclaw bronze ribbon around the middle.
"Don't open it till Christmas." He said putting it into my hand," Promise me."
"It's bad luck to anyways." I said, taking out the blue box from my robes putting it in the same place as his once sat," Merry Christmas."
"You too Cel."

On the keys, Malfoy played the simple muggle tune of 'Wish you a Merry Christmas' as the snow fell outside the window. Drizella slept by the fire, her ear twitching every so often – from the corner of his eye, he places my fingers on the keys.
"What happened to them?" He asked," Your parents, you never get picked up by them or go to Diagon Ally with them and we never see them; just you, your brother and your Gran."
I bit back a snappy answer," A fate worse than death."
"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, "Is it why that boggart turned into my aunt?"
"I can't say, not because I don't want to, but it's not just my story to tell so even if I'm ready to face it- I don't know if my brother is." Taking in a deep breath I looked over at him," So one day, we'll say something but only when we feel like it's the right time to speak about it."