He Was Their Friend!

CHAPTER NINE: He Was Their Friend

First snow over Hogwarts was always magical, maybe more so than the magic we learned inside. The blue and bronze Christmas had been put up by the seventh years who drank fire whisky as they did it – the twelve of them sitting by the fire laughing as they topped up their glasses.

With my scarf around my neck and my white coat buttoned up – I climbed into the carriage that went to Hogsmeade. This was the last trip before the Christmas holidays, so it was the best time to go Christmas shopping. Hadleigh had gone into town earlier with Isabelle and Sue to get butterbeer and some sweets from Honeydukes.

With my hands in my pockets, I bounced from shop to shop buying gifts for my friends – it was never anything large because simplicity is always better than large and expensive.

Ron got a box of flavour changing biscuits with popping candy.
Hermione, several books containing stories from the Wizarding World including The Tales of Beedle the Bard; a book every witch or wizard should have on their bookcase.
Harry got some new things about Quidditch; about the history of the game as well as some odds and ends to decorate his dorm with.
From the Herbotanist, Neville got the sprout of a Flitterbloom plant in a small clay pot with a red ribbon around the lip.
Hadleigh, being the lover of charms she is, received a charmed necklace; some muggles would call it a glow-in-the-dark necklace – however when the cage is opened the light grows to create a floating ball of light that can light up a whole street.
Dean was a lover of muggle sports that I personally didn't understand – because of this; Dean got the introductory guide to Magical Sports.
Seamus got a few Zonko products, including a nose biting teacup, dungbombs and sugar-quills.

Walking down the snowy streets, the choir singing in the background – I threw three galleons into the pot wishing them all a Merry Christmas. Not too far in front of me, a messy head of black hair, a distinctive redhead and a signature bushy head hidden under a red beanie made my eyebrows crease.

"Harry, how did you get here?" I asked as the Golden Three stopped in front of the Three Broomsticks," I thought your permission slip wasn't signed?
Harry held up his crossed arms," Dad helped me."
"But Harry isn't going to keep it. He's going to turn it over to Professor McGonagall, aren't you?" Hermione said looking at him.
Ron snorted, "Oh, sure. Along with his invisibility cloak, his pack of exploding snap cards, his-"
"Shut up." She snapped with a smile.
"Handing them in might cause more drama than just keeping them."

Madam Rosmerta walking outside the pub, a mallet in hand, as Fudge pulled up. Hagrid, who was trying to be helpful, accidentally pulled the door off his sledge, holding it up in the air.
"That's Madam Rosmerta. Ron fancies her." Hermione teased, sending Ron's face as bright has his hair.
"It's not true!" He defended, his voice breaking slightly sending in higher than normal.
"Sh!" Harry scolded, trying to listen in to the convocation.

Fudge stepped over the horse dung in the now, "I trust business is good?"
Madam Rosmerta looked over at the minister,  waving her hammer in the air, "It'd be a right sight better if the Ministry wasn't sending Dementors into my pub every other night."
Trying to dodge the hammer's blows, Fudge step backwards into the one thing he was trying to avoid. He looked at his shoes and whipped them on the snow.
"We have a killer on the loose." Fudge said,
I rolled my eyes at him, "no shit."
Hermione hit my arm," Shush."
"Sirius Black? In Hogsmeade!" McGonagall told her joining the convocation.
Rosemerta's expression changed to shock," And what would bring him here?"
"Harry Potter," McGonagall whispered, badly
"Harry Potter!" Rosmerta shouted with her eyes wide, McGonagall and Fudge shushed her.
Fudge gestured at the pub behind her the three adults following went inside as Hagrid waited with the horses, looking very happy as he was left with the animals.

Turning around in circles, Harry had gone, leaving snow prints instead; we followed the tracks that lead into the pub.
"No underage wizards here today" A shrunken head stated as we opened the door.
"Shut the damn door." Another joined in, giving us a look with his dried-out eyes.
Hermione glared at them," How rude."
"Thick heads," Ron said under his breath as he shut the door
Peaking through the small glass panel in the door, the chair moved slightly as well as several other pieces of furniture as Harry made his way towards the stairs.
"So how's Hogsmeade today?" I asked.
Hermione shrugged," We went to the Shrieking Shack only for Malfoy to turn up being all superior and crap."
"Hermione!" I gasped," Did you just –"
She laughed," Shut up."

Sitting on the bench for a while playing eye-spy – Ron not quite understanding the rules. Hermione violent tapped our shoulders, her eyes following the footsteps with nobody. We followed the steps, walking through the middle of the fallen choir, whispering sorry's as we made it to the other side. The footprints led us to the Shrieking Shack – stopping in the middle of the clearing.

Hermione walked forwards, kneeling down in front of a rock putting her hand out. She pulled on something, rolling it up in her arms as Harry mop of black hair started showing.
He had tears rolling down his face, eyes red and puff. Walking up to him, we stood around the bolder – my hand on his shoulder comfortingly.
"What happened?" She asked softly.
"He was their friend. And he betrayed them. He was their friend!" He yelled before going into reckless Harry mode, "I hope he finds me. But when he does, I'm going to be ready. When he does, I'm going to kill him."