Ch.4 After

Another body was found seemingly mauled by an animal. Investigators are currently trying to identify the remains. That brings the count up to four victims in just three weeks. Police are looking for the killer animal-

I quickly turned the tv off, having no desire to see the blurred images of the remains of what once was.

It had been three weeks since Miya had been attacked, and since then people had been finding mangled bodies throughout the forest. Whatever thing had been causing this grievance had a talent for existing right under people's noses. The only story the newscasts would report were updates on the trail of victims. Since this was a small town, having this kind of unfortunate event happen was the same as lighting a lamp around a swarm of moths.

I constantly think about how lucky Miya had been. She was essentially a breath away from death. She had been discharged from the hospital for a long time, with nothing more than a cast and some bandage wounds around her torso. Weirdly, her wounds seemed to not be healing as quickly as they should but the nurses suggested since Miya was mentally traumatized by the attack, it could have an affect on her healing abilities.

I rose from my seated position on the couch and went to stare at the forest enclosing my back yard. I haven't been close to the tree line since Miya's attack. Jungkook has been texting me constantly reminding me to make sure I was not alone when out and to also stay away from the woods. His concern was endearing. I had tried to be conscious about accompanying myself with someone when traveling to and fro, but sometimes it couldn't be helped. I primarily found myself alone coming home from hanging out with Miya since neither one of us owned a car. Spending time with Sehun didn't serve to be a problem since he owned a small Toyota.

My phone buzzed in my pocket relaying me from my thoughts.

Miya: Can u come over soon and help
me set up the Halloween decorations?
Party in a week.
Kinda disabled atm lol

You: Yeah of course! I can head over
now, not busy.

As if sensing I was on my phone, I got a text from Jungkook.

JK^^: how are you doing?

I felt like I was thirteen again, smiling down at the message.

You: Doing great! Going to head over to Miya's house to help with decorations for a family party she's having in a bit.

I sent the text and started to put my phone away when Jungkook texted me back. Punctual.

JK^^: be safe and have fun.

Me: always am, always do :)

I arrived at Miya's house approximately thirty minutes later. Knocking on the door I was greeted by Deena adorned in a red wrap around cardigan. I could see bags forming under her eyes and her curly hair, which was usually styled, was frayed out in random places. It seemed the stress of Miya had been getting to her.

"Y/n" she welcomed, "I'm glad to see you. Thanks for coming to help with the decorations."

"Of course." I responded.

She stepped sideways to let me into the house. I moved forward, taking my shoes off at the entrance.

"Miya is in her bedroom, I'll take her to you."