Chapter 50

Chapter 50

-Omission Of Guilt

Braylin checks his watch again for the third time.  He’s returned to the shed behind the cabin to get a fishing rod for Kara to use while she gets ready.  He has time to send a few work related emails and check in with his brothers to see how things are going.     

He keeps telling himself this is a bad idea, it can only make things worse between them.  Why does she even want to come?  Getting frustrated he starts walking up the steps when she comes rushing out of her room.  Braylin holds onto the bannister backing down the stairs while staring at her as she comes down them toward him. 

“Fifteen minutes passed you by about an hour ago Kara?”  He says sarcastically. 

Kara chews her bottom lip remembering he’s done this to her before when they went to the Hamptons.  She think she’s prepared wearing a black pair of thick leggings and a grey collared shirt with a dark grey down vest.  She’s got on a cute pair of tartan trimmed wellington boots her entire outfit is more cute than functional. 

“Sorry….I couldn’t decide which color wellies to wear.”  She comments shrugging her shoulders. 

“For an hour….it took you an hour to figure out your footwear.  They’re boots.”  He has one eyebrow raised and a smirk across his lips just waiting for her to react with one of her smart mouth quips. 

“Yeah I know…. aren’t they cute.  I bought three pair.”  Kara twirls in front of him flirting throwing him off guard. 

“Let’s go now before I change my mind.”  Is his sardonic reply he’s trying not to let her break down his defenses. 

They drive the Range Rover down to the docks stopping at a bait shop.  Once inside Braylin heads toward a counter to get some live bait.  Kara wonders around asking the sales people questions about all the cute little color butterflies with hooks in them.  They explain to her they’re called lures and show her all the different kinds available.  By the time Braylin gets to the counter to pay for their purchases with his live bait Kara shows up with a basket filled with all types of colorful lures. 

“Kara we’re only going to be out here for a day.  You don’t need all of that.”  He looks at her incredulously. 

“I’m not touching that.”  She points to his bucket of live bait.   

She has a couple of hundred dollars’ worth of fishing supplies although she doesn’t have a clue what any of it’s used for, Braylin pays for it.  They finally get to the dock.  Braylin unpacks the car while she stands around watching him. 

“Your staring, you want to help?”  He scowls at her. 

“What would you like for me to do?”  She ask sweetly. 

“What are you up to?”  He squints his eyes at her, she hasn’t responded to any of his insults. 

“Nothing….it’s obvious you don’t want me around.  I’m trying to give you what you want by staying out of your way as much as possible.”  She replies. 

“I didn’t say that so don’t assume.”  The crease in his brows grows deeper. 

“You don’t want me to go with you, you think I’m just a girl well so what…girls go fishing to you know.”   

“Yeah they do, those that know how to fish.  You don’t that means I have to show you.”  He says. 

“If you don’t want to show me what to do then fine I’ll figure it out without your help Mr. Outdoorsman.”