Cheers, Mathletes, and Touchdowns Part Five

Samantha

It's  becoming  a  pattern.  I  spend  too  much  time  with  Alexi  than  is  actually  good  for  me.  I  don't  spend  enough  time  anymore  with  Valerie.  If  my  mom  didn't  trust  me  so  much,  she  probably  wouldn't  believe  I  really  stay  in  school  after  hours.  I  wouldn't  actually  say  he's  using  me  since  I'm  his  official  tutor,  but  most  of  the  time  I  feel  uncomfortable  like  there's  a  stubborn  Spanish  word  attaching  itself  to  my subconscious,  irritating  me  and  at  the  same  time  making  me  feel  like  something  big  was  going  to  happen.

Alexi's  a  good  student.  He  works  hard  during  our  tutorials  and  has  even  started  paying  attention  in  class.  It's  very  satisfying  to  know  that  I  am  reforming  a  rake.

"Hey,  there."   He  interrupted  my  thoughts  as  he  walked  towards  my  locker.  Speak  of  the  devil.  He  even  looks  better  smiling  like  that.

"Hi.  Someone's  happy  today."    

He  smiled.  "Yep.  I got  my  History  test  back  today.  See  who's  got  a  C-plus."  He  held  up  his  test  result  and  I  snatched  it  out  of  his  hand  and  quickly  glanced  through  it.  His  handwriting  is  still  awful  but  it  seems  like  he  has  been  doing  the  handwriting  improvement  exercises  I've  been  giving  him.  I  can  distinguish  the  letters  now.  A  big  C-plus  sat  on  his  history  sheet  with  a  smiley  face  under  it.  Who  knows,  our  history  teacher  might  even  have  a  crush  on  him.  I  turned  the  test  over  and  saw  a  comment.  "Now  that  you're  actually  making  an  effort,  maybe  I  can  help  you.  See  me  sometime."

That  confirmed  it.

"Oh  my,  congratulations.  I've  been  so  nervous  all  day."  That  was  true.

"You  were  afraid  I'd  flunk?  This  isn't  the  first  time  you've  helped  a  student."

He'd  stopped  taking  offense  to  him  being  called  dumb  a  long  time  ago.

"Yeah,  but  it's  always  a  thrill."  He  held  his  arms  open  right  there  in  the  hallway  and  I  stepped  into  it,  hugging  him  back.  "I'm  so  happy  for  you."

"I'm  happy  for  me  too.  I  feel  so  great  like  I've  finally  accomplished  something."  He  said,  releasing  me  a  minute  too  long  for  just  a  professional  congratulatory  hug.  He  looked  into  my  eyes.  "Thanks."  He  said  huskily.

I  averted  my  eyes  to  the  ground,  uncomfortable  with  the  depth  of  sincerity  and  emotion  evident  in  his  clear  brown-eyed  gaze.  I  shuffled  my  feet.

"I  guess  this  means  you'll  have  to  stop  coming  for  tutorials."  I  said.  I  had  lost  my  notion  that  he  was  a  stuck  up  ass  on  his  second  tutorial.

"No,  this  is  just  the  beginning.  It's  the  first  in  a  long  semester  of  tests  and  exams."

"Then,  see  you  tomorrow?  You  deserve  a  break."

"Definitely.  You're  the  best."  He  gave  me  the  thumbs-up  and  a  wink.  He  looked  so  adorable.  I  handed  back  the  script  to  him  and  turned  back  to  my  locker  just  as  I  heard  April  call  out  to  him,  "Hi,  Alexi."

"Hey  April.  How  are  you  doing?"  He  leaned  down  to  kiss  her,  glancing  a  bit  in  my  direction.

Just  gross.

"Hmm,"  she  purred,  "Someone's  feeling  chipper  this  morning.  I  like  this  mood."  She  pulled  him  down  for  another  round  as  Alexi  groaned  probably  in  pleasure  and  I  thought  I  might  retch  there  and  then.  Maybe  I  was  just  jealous.  Maybe it  was  just  disgusting  to  watch  them  play  the  happy  couple  in  front  of  my  locker.

I  walked  away  and  went  to  lunch,  my  book  back  slung  over  my  shoulder  since  I'd  be  going  to  class  straight  from  the  cafeteria.

I  spotted  Val  sitting  at  the  'nerd'  table  with  Ben  and  some  other  guys.

I  went  over  and  dropped  my  bag  beside  her  and  then  went  back  to  order  something.  Nothing  looked  appealing  so  I  just  ordered  a  box  of  Orange  Juice. 

I  went  back  to  my  seat  beside  Val.

"Hey  guys."

"The  miracle-working  tutor  is  back."  Ben  whooped.

"What  do  you  mean,  Hampton?"  I  asked  cautiously  as  I  tore  open  the  box  and  put  in  my  straw.

"Taking  up  a  basketball  player  requires  nothing  short  of  a  miracle."  Ben  explained.

"And  Damian  here  saw  Ashton's  History  result.  He  had  a  C-plus.  From  a  D-minus.  Under  two  weeks."  Andy  explained  as  if  he  couldn't  quite  believe  it.

"You're  the  man."  Damian  said.

"Go  girl!"  Val  joined  in.  Traitor.  I  mock-glared  at  her  and  she  smiled  amusedly.  I  snatched  up  her  bag  of  chips  and  smiled  as she  tried  to  reach  for  it.  The  food  that  had  held  no  appeal  to  me  suddenly  tasted  delicious  and  I  chomped  down  handfuls  of  chips  before  returning  the  bag.

"You  a  werewolf  now, huh?"  Damian  said,  winking  at  me.

Idiot.  I  tried  to  laugh  and  say  something,  but  the  chips  went  down  the  wrong  way.  I  started  to  choke.

They  all  looked  at  me  in  alarm,  not  knowing  what  to  do.  It  was  rather  funny  that  someone  was  choking  at  the  table  of  the  supposedly  'most  brilliant'  students  in  Stephen  County  and  they  didn't  know  what  to  do.

Just  at  once,  they  all  sprang  to  action.  Val placed  my  OJ  under  my  nose  and  urged  me  to  drink  up.  Ben  thumped  me  on  the  back  while  Damian  un-helpfully  advised  me  to  rub  my  belly.  If  I  were  not  in  so  dangerous  a  situation,  I  would  have  laughed.  Luckily  for  me  however,  strong  hands  gripped  me  from  behind  and  hauled  me  out  of  my  seat.  That  I  could  die  of  loss  of  breath  in  the  next  minute  was  the  only  thing  in  my  head.  I  vaguely  registered  being  dragged  or  somehow  carried  across   the  hall to  the  toilet stalls.  I've  not  had  the  time  to  process  it  all  yet (as  best  as I  could  with  me  running  out  of  breath  every  minute)  when  I  heard  an  unfamiliar  voice  tell  Val  to  open  the  door  to  the  ladies.  He  pulled  me  in  and  bent  me  over  a  seat,  thumping  my  back,  trying  to  get  me  to  throw  up.  After  a  few  seconds,  I  threw  up  Val's  chips  that  were  stuck  in  my  respiratory  tract  or  wherever  they  were.  I  rested  my  head  on  the  seat  edge  as  the  guy  flushed  and  got  water  for  my  face.

He  helped  me  get  up  and  I  got  a  good  look  at  his  face.  He  was  just  like  Alexi.