Cheers, Mathletes, and Touchdowns Part Four

• Dedicated to Esther Mogbonjubola Onifade

A/N:  Hi  everyone,  I'm so  sorry  it took so  long  to  post  this  chapter.  i  had  written  it  a  while  ago  and  decided  to  post  it  on  the  22nd  as  a  form  of  birthday  present  u  guys  but  my  grandma  died  on  the  morning  of  my  birthday.  Its  been  a  crazy  whole week  since  then. Before I let u get to the story, I just wanna dedicate this story to my grandma, Esther Onifade. May her strong, courageous soul rest in perfect peace. R.I.P.

Enough of that now. I'll leave  u to the story. Hope u like it. Don't forget to read and review.

Thanks.

Alexi

Apparently,  my  coach  decided  that  I  needed  more  than  just  passing  grades  to  get  into  college  because  he  insists  that  I can  never  know  what  could  happen  in  the  future.  I  had  laughed  and  told  him  I  didn't  need  to  study  that  hard  to  get  a  college  scholarship,  and  he  had  said  that  was  exactly  his  point.  It's  not  likely  it  could  get  any  weirder  than  that.  And  since  I  hated  studying,  not  to  mention  extra  studying,  I  tried  to  wheedle  my  way  out;  and  since  I  was  point  guard  for  the  team,  it  wasn't  like  he  could  just  dispose  of  me  if  I  didn't  conform  with  the  new  B-minus  grade  minimum.  I  think  he  guessed  what  was  going  on  inside  me  because  he  told  me  he  cared  more  about  me  as  an  human  being  than  as  a  basketball  player,  and  that  the  championship  I  had   worked  so  hard  for,  could  go  to  hell.  It  didn't  take  long  this  time  for  my  typically  slow  brain  to  realize  that  the  guy  was  serious  and  that  if  I  got  kicked  off  the  team,  I  didn't  have  enough  grades  to  rely  on  an  getting  an  academic  scholarship;  except  if  I  injure  myself  permanently  and  claim  a  disabled  scholarship.

It  wasn't  long  again  before  I  figured  out  that  that  plan  didn't  hold  much  feasibility.  Wow,  I  just  said  feasibility,  geek  girl  must  be  rubbing  off  on  me.

I  faced  the  task  at  hand  and  explained  my  plight  to  her,  to  which  she  kindly  pointed  out  that  it  kinda  too  late  for  my  improved  grades  to  have  any  impact.  I  wasn't  planning  on  going  anywhere  farther  than  UNC,  so  I  figured  all  I  could  do  was  try.

She  leaned  back  in  her  seat  and  did  that  annoying  studying  thing  again,  "It  sounds  like  you  are  desperate  enough  to  try.  You  don't  want  to  get  kicked  off  the  team."

Which  was  basically  true,  but  it  wasn't  like  I  would  just  admit something  like  that  to  her  when  she  had  that  superior  look  on  her  face  again.  So  I  scoffed,  "The  team  can't  do  without  me,  I'm  the  main  man."

She  snorted,  "Keep  stroking  your  ego.  One  would  wonder  why  you  need  to  however,  I  thought  April  would  be  more  than  willing  to  do  that  for  you."

I  had  to  admit,  my  mouth  almost  dropped  open.  Almost.

"Oh, Puh-lease,  don't  catch  flies."  She  said  again,  waving  her  hand  in  a  nonchalant  gesture.

What  happened  to  the  shy,  blushing  girl  of  the  other  day?  I  think  I  liked  her  better.

"You'd  better  take  a  seat  if  we  are  going  to  discuss  anything  today.  I'm  waiting  for  my  4 o' clock  appointment."  She  said,  murmuring  as  an  afterthought,  "Who  is  probably  flunking  again."