Cheers, Mathletes, and Touchdowns Part Twenty

Part Twenty

Samantha

Meredith’s house was very quiet, and the only evidence anyone had of anything happening there was the unusually large number of cars parked on the street. Josh found a parking space a bit far from the house, but the spot looked safe enough from any altercation that might involve drunken teenage boys, driving, and vandalizing.

“Keeping it low, aren’t they?” Val mocked as we all got out of the car.

I got a chance to see what Val was wearing. It was a little red dress that had a more daring neckline than mine, and that was way shorter.

“Wow Val, you look amazing.”

“I know, right?” Val replied conceitedly.

I thumped her on the arm for her over-confidence.

She put her arms around me, “We are so going to make an entrance.” I hoped so.

As we entered Meredith’s vast compound, the only indications we had of anything going on was the fact that there a few couples paired up here and there seriously making out. If this was happening just a half-hour into the start of the party, I shudder to think what would be happening at the end.

“What time did they say this thing was going to end?” Ben asked, looking cautiously around.

I guess I wasn’t the only one thinking that. “I think it’s until the last person either drops or leaves.”

“That’ll take a while. I think we’re in for a long night,” Val observed.

“I second that,” Josh agreed.

We moved on in the silence, wondering what kind of soundproof system the Campbells had installed, and if they had this kind of parties in mind when they gave birth to their daughter. We passed the main house building, and started to hear snippets of music which sounded like it was coming from the back of the house.

We rounded the curve of the house hand-in-hand, and the first reaction that came from any of us was from Damian, as usual. “Keeping it low, huh?”

It looked like half the student population of Stephen County High was represented. Wasn’t the party supposed to be exclusive? As we stopped to take in the situation, two hefty guys, probably the bouncers came over and asked for out invitations. I took mine out of the clutch purse I was holding while my friends handed theirs over with trembling fingers. The bouncers waited for Josh to pull something out, and when he didn’t, looked at him from head to feet.

After verifying the genuineness of our invitations, they let us in, but blocked Josh’s way, “Invitations only.”

“We’re together,” I said.

“Singles, no couples,” they replied gruffly.

“Meredith said he could come,” I tried to explain again.

“Invitations only.”

Whoa, I really should have thought of this. Maybe this was a sign I shouldn’t even bother attending this party. I stepped out again and stood with Josh, “Let’s just go back home. I think this is a sign.”

“Are you serious?” Josh looked at me curiously.

Damian assessed the situation, and with a simple ‘stay here’, he went off to find Meredith.

They came back a few minutes later with Meredith looking disgruntled as to why she was dragged out of a party to attend to inconsequential things like gate keeping.