Cheers, Mathletes, and Touchdowns Part Thirteen

• Dedicated to Adeola Adedeji-Adeniyi

A/N: It's been 3 weeks! I'm really sorry, i just had some personal stuff going on. This chapter isnt about the party. just some intro. Pls bear with me and enjoy.

Love,

xx annie93 xx 

Part Thirteen

Alexi

My name was the first on the list. I let out a whoop as I found out I was still the captain and shooting guard. There were a few blank spots, I guess not everyone had worked so hard at improving their grades as I had; but a PS at the end informed that those spots were open to the public for auditions, as long as they met the minimum academic requirements and could play impressively well enough in the Championships.

I opened the door to Coach Brian’s office and found him sitting at his table. His mood seemed to have to have improved from the last time I saw him, but he still looked tired.

“Good afternoon, Coach,” I greeted him.

“Alexi,” he said, acknowledging me, “Close the door behind you.”

I did as he asked and took the seat in front of him.

“So, Coach, I saw the list and I made captain again.”

He nodded, “That’s good.” He leaned forward and clasped his hands together on the table, “You deserve it. You were the only one who took the new restrictions seriously, and now you are on your way to being an A-student.”

I felt my mouth pulling at the corners, I was proud of myself. Anyway, there was still an issue that pressed on my mind. As much as I liked being tutored by Sam, I hoped I didn’t have to do intensive study anymore. I cleared my throat, “Coach, I hope this means I don’t have to go to intensive tutorials anymore?” I asked hopefully.

“You are free to do whatever you want, Alexi, as long as you keep up with the minimum requirement. Anyone who can’t keep up gets kicked off the team. I think it’s obvious from the new list that I can do whatever I like with my team.”

Yeah, I could see that. I didn’t understand what the Coach’s obsession with grades was though. And so, I asked him, “Coach, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the deal with the new minimum requirements?”

Coach Brian smiled and looked more tired than ever, “you’ll understand soon enough, Alexi.”

I nodded, but he continued, “You see this town, Alexi?” he asked and I nodded again.

“It’s a very small town.” He said, and I nodded yet again.

“Look around you, Alexi, and try to see. There are so few success stories, and I don’t plan on coaching yet another team of losers who go on from High School to become family men, with no thought of the future or the potentials they have.”

I completely agreed with Coach Brian. There were people who had money, like April, Shelley, Meredith, and a handful but there were still many more that had no hope of going to college without a scholarship. And the sad thing was they didn’t even have the brains. Except for Sam, Wong Chu, and her other friends plus the handful in upcoming generations, and the few before them, scholarships didn’t go around much here.

I nodded in agreement and the Coach continued, “Basketball may be a way of life but there is more to life than It. I hope you discover that, Alexi. You have real promise and I hope you don’t let it go to waste.”

*

I passed by the gym on my way out and saw April practising with her teammates. They probably had a cheer championship coming up soon. She raised a hand in greeting, and I nodded, smiling. Shelley, however, stared at me with an expressionless gaze that I was pretty sure masked hate or anger or both. I smirked at her wondering why she was sitting in on cheerleading practice since she wasn’t a cheerleader. She probably had the best friend privilege. I moved on to the tutor centre for what was likely to be my last peer-tutoring class. The place was packed, but I wasn’t surprised because it was a Monday and lots of students had their classes on Monday.