Cheers, Mathletes, and Touchdowns Part Seventeen

Carrie Underwood-I Know You Won’t         

A/N: This chapter didn’t quite turn out the way I expected. I’ve been at the second part since eleven pm and now its three am so I apologize for any inconsistencies. It might seem a bit not-normal and plot-less, but I feel very dry now. I hope I get back on track for the next chapter. Happy reading.

Love,

Annie x

Part Seventeen

Alexi

I hung up the phone after school on Wednesday. I’ve not seen or hung out with April since Monday, and I think she was either avoiding me or still mad at me, although that would be a bit weird since she had already seemed to forgive me for Saturday. I mean, I know she’s best friends with Shelley and all, but the rate at which they hung out today, especially, made me very sorry for whoever they were plotting against. I hoped it wasn’t Sam though. I was thinking of talking her out of doing anything horrible to Sam because I was now sure that Sam’s invite was her doing since I saw Meredith making sure everyone knew that her handbag was new and then caught her returning Shelley’s credit card at lunch today; but I didn’t think I would get the chance anymore. April just told me she was going to the mall with Shelley to shop for a dress.

I asked to come with, not because I was really interested but because I wanted a chance to talk with her, but she declined and said she hoped I would keep up the caring attitude for a long time to come. I didn’t quite get that. I walked down to the tutoring centre where my session with Sam was to take place.  Since she had to cancel yesterday to go shopping, I had to make up today. What was it with girls and that party? That was another thing I didn’t quite get too.

“Hey, Sam,” I greeted.

She looked up at me and gave the loveliest smile imaginable. “Hey, Alexi,” she replied.

I smiled as I took my seat. I leaned forward and noticed she was reading the text I got for her on Monday. “So,” I started, “I see you changed your mind about that.” I motioned to the book. She set it aside and said, “I figured you had a point; besides, if I don’t at least try to do it, who else will?”

“Yeah, yeah, good point.”

She brought out an eleventh grade math textbook and opened to the first page. “I think you can handle eleventh grade now,” she said.

That was a progression considering she had me doing ninth grade math before. Maybe learning the basics was really the foundation for everything else. No matter what my true feelings were, I wouldn’t take that implied insult lying down.

“In case you’d forgotten, I’m in twelfth grade,” I said.

“To the surprise of all,” she injected. There was a time when I would have taken offense but I just smiled and ignored it, “And I don’t think if I couldn’t handle eleventh grade, I would be here.”

She shook her head, “It’s whatever you say.”

I felt the urge to warn her against April again, but I stamped it down thinking it couldn’t be so bad. The worst they could probably do was put her face in a plate of crème and then push her into the pool. Sometimes I really wish I understood how the scheming female mind worked. Maybe I’d try to catch Greek a bit more frequently.

So I just asked, “Are you still going to that party?”

She looked up with a disbelieving look on her face, “Of course, I am. Why do you think I shouldn’t go?”