Cheers, Mathletes, and Touchdowns Part 1

CHEERS, MATHLETES, AND TOUCHDOWNS.

By Annabelle009

 A/N: This book is split between three points of views. There might be occasional inclusions of other characters' pov, but i promise to limit it until its absolutely necessary.

This has been edited and I hope I've covered spelling and probably punctuation errors. If u see anything, pls let me know.

Samantha 

I crumpled the piece of paper in my right hand and threw it neatly in the trashcan sitting several feet away from me in front of the class. It was a Monday and school had let out more than an hour ago. I was very tired, and my head was aching dreadfully from trying to make headway in solving the very difficult one-paged question that my math teacher put on the board the previous week when school started.

According to my teacher, It had taken the math and physics professors at the state university three very intense weeks to solve the question but I was prepared to spend more time than that-as long as I would crack the ever elusive limit in the end. 

Either as a bonus or a form of motivation, I am not really sure which, my teacher promised whoever solved it an A+ at the end of the semester. Given the fact that I was an A student, I didn't actually need to solve a complex math equation to get an A. In fact, with all modesty, mind you, I can not honestly remember the last time I made anything less than an A in my academic career, (maybe except in Spanish which I am only taking because my mother made me sign up for it). 

As I opened one of the big reference math textbooks I had swindled out of the librarian-ignore my choice of words---the door to the math room opened behind me and my math teacher stepped in closely followed by a boy. I ignored the boy completely as he retreated into the shadows and I focused all my attention on my math teacher/uncle-in-law in a complicated sort of way. He spotted me almost immediately and his face broke into the kind of grins usually reserved for favourite nieces.  

"Well, hello, Sam." He greeted as he moved closer to me, "I thought you would have gone home by now. It's getting late and I don't want your mom worried."

I answered with the kind of affectionate smile usually reserved for favourite uncles. He was my favourite uncle and my favourite teacher. "My mom won't mind. She wants me to get an A+" 

"Funny girl," he said, "You know you don't have to worry about solving it. You'll get your A anyway." He looked at the board and then back at me. "I really don't expect anyone to solve it. It's only up there for motivation." 

I have to admit I was surprised to hear this. It wasn't everyday, if at all, that you hear your teacher say he didn't believe in his students. To my semi-twisted brain, it sounded like a challenge. And, boy, do I love challenges. 

"I guessed as much, sir," I told him confidently, "but I intend to be motivated." 

He looked as if he was about to say something but thought better of it. "Do it your way," he conceded. "The only problem here is that I need the class empty for the next hour or so. Jock boy here," he motioned to the boy in the shadows, "has detention. So I thought I would let him have an hour all to himself doing some internal reflection." 

I glanced at the boy he was talking about and my stomach did funny summersaults in recognition. It was Alexi Ashton and he was just the most popular boy in school. You know, captain of basketball team, innocent-looking, heartbreaker face and entirely inconsequential (though some may disagree) things like that. I would go into details but I didn't really like describing people. What I was sure of was that I didn't really like him  (I don't hate him, though). He was just one of those despicable people who in my opinion had their heads stuck up their asses. I vaguely remembered hearing my math teacher, Mr. Lacrosse, give him detention during second period. I have never had the opportunity to regard him up close before so I took advantage of the current situation to see for myself why the girls in and around Stephen County High School would kill to have him just smile at them. He's what Kaavya Vishwanathan would have described as an HComm.(Hot Commodity). Looking at him as he left the shadows and moved towards us, I can honestly say he is quite worth it. I noticed Mr. Lacrosse looking at me expectantly as if waiting for me to say something. I made a quick decision. I didn't want to be the reason why pretty boy doesn't get what has been coming for him a long time ago, but I needed to make a headway before I left for home.