ORANGE CHICKEN BUTTERFLIES

14

ORANGE CHICKEN BUTTERFLIES

"WE'RE here." Leo announces and my head shouts up form my almost nap. "I'm sorry to break it to you Leo but we are at a forest." I say and he shakes his head with a chuckle, stepping out of the car.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and by the time I go to open my door Leo is there, leaning against the side with his hand on the door handle. I smile at him as he opens the door, taking him in a hug as his arms wrap around me in one of the best hugs over ever had.

We all know tall people give the best hugs.

"This isn't just any forest." He says and I furrow my eyebrows, "Sorry to break it to you Leo but you're kinda wrong.." I say and he chuckles.

"Come with me..." he mumbles and I furrow my eyebrows, taking his hand.

"How do you even find this stuff?" I ask him and he gives me a lopsided smile, "Well... I kind of got pissed at myself a lot or angry when I'd see you all dolled up at parties so.... I would just wander into forests and shit. Not my smartest moves but I found some gems." He answers truthfully as we get onto a barely visible path.

"This place was an old something or whatever, you can read the sign as best as possible when we get there, but I think you'll love what it is now." He says, holding my hand as we walk along the packed dirt path.

"Give me a hint!" I plead and he chuckles, "were almost there." He says and I roll my eyes, "So?"

"Okay fine.... your favorite books."

"A bookstore? Did you build a bookstore?" I say sarcastically and his head shoots back with a laugh, I instinctively kiss his neck and he bites his lip.

"I didn't build a bookstore, sorry to disappoint.... but we happened to be here." He says and I turn my head just for my eyes to be enveloped in shades of green, yellow, and orange. 

"Oh my god..." I mumble, grabbing his hand and walking towards what my eyes are focused on.

It's a sunflower field.

I run in, careful to not step on any stems or growing flowers, which is quite hard, but I finally make it to the middle.

I look behind me at the hand I'm holding, my eyes traveling up his body to his head and directly to his vivid teal eyes.

"You're so handsome..." I mumble and he smiles, his  hand leaving mine only to wrap around my entire body as we sit in the middle of the field.

The sun beats down on us in the warm weather, our faces covered in a layer of sunlight.

"Thank you, Roxy." He says slowly against my head, sniffing in my scent as we are surrounded by my favorite flower in my favorite weather.

"I...." I start, all I want is to tell him I love him. Because I do.

Sure maybe we vaguely said something about it, but we've never said.... 'I love you'

I want that, y'know.

"You what?" He questions, chewing on gum as his jaw bouncers up and down on my head, I turn my head a little, my arms still around him as I stare into the seemingly never ending field of sunflowers.

"I think we should get Chinese food later..." I say confidently, chickening out of my plans even if I'm sure he feels the same.

He laughs, his head leaning back before he looks back down at me. "Of course I'll get you Chinese food at 9 am, as a normal boyfriend does." He says and I smile, leaning up and pecking his lips.