THE REASONS LEO MCCLURE WON'T TELL

21
(This is probably one of my favorite chapters...)

THE REASONS LEO MCCLURE WON'T TELL

"DAD has to work for like twenty four hours at the hospital, and since mom is gone I was thinking I could throw a party for homecoming." Leo says as I lean my head on his shoulder, his arm around me as I close my eyes.

"Yea go ahead Jace, but..." Rose warns, pointing to him with a stern look as we watch the movie in the living room.

"You have to actually let Rox and I wear something cute." She pleads and he growls, his hand grabbing onto my arm and squeezing automatically.

"Why would I let you?" He asks, Haze's lips press together in a fine line as he watches the movie intently, not wanting to get involved.

"Because Rox has got a hot bod and what if she wants to show off to Blake Harbor?" She asks, staring at him deep in his eyes. She's really playing off the fact that he thinks I don't know what's happening.

"She won't." He says and she huffs, "why-"

"You know why, Rose." He huffs as he rubs my shoulder and gets up. "I'll take you home in a second, Roxy."

He stands up next to Rose and squints his eyes. "No one fucks with my baby." He whispers and she smirks, "We are wearing bikinis." She says and he nods cleaning back.

"Fine, I can't stop you since it's your body. But if I see Blake Harbor grabbing onto either of your butts or anybody look at either of you. They're getting these hands." He says and I chuckle a little, curling up into a little ball.

"Rox and I can protect ourselves Jace." She says, coming over to me and leaning my head on her lap.

"I would doubt that." Haze says and Rose squints at him, flipping him off as he chuckles, shaking his head.

"Give me back my girlfri-..." Leo stops mid sentence, staring at me, "My friend..."

"Smooth." Rose says and he shakes his head, picking me up in one swift movement and grabbing his keys.

"Fuck you I'm driving your best friend home." He says and she chuckles. "Like she's not to your best friend too, Jace!" She screams after as I snuggle my head into his chest.

He grabs his wallet. "Okay Reed-lover." He mumbles and she growls, "Too soon."

"Haze-lover?" He asks wearily and she nods, "better." She says and Haze bites his lip, smiling at his lap.

Once we get outside I sigh, "What are they gonna do?" I ask and he puts me down, confused as he buckles my seatbelt for my tired body, "what?"

"Well when they start dating what are they gonna do?" I ask and he shrugs. "Same thing we're gonna do, like each other regardless, call every night. I wouldn't doubt that he would set up a longer stay here as well." He says and I nod.

"They're so cute together." I say and he chuckles.

"I'm more protective over you than my sister, so I will say this is better than you and Haze. I would die if you and Haze got together." He says and I nod, "I'm gonna take a nap, I'll come to your party later okay?" I ask and he nods.

"Okay, baby girl. I'll take you upstairs, your mom really wants to talk to me about the divorce and stuff anyway, y'know the tea situation." He says and I chuckle, "she really wants to sit down and have tea!"

"You act like that's a normal thing. All people do now is invite people in to get high." He says and I gag, "gross.." leaning on to his shoulder.