Chapter 1: Autumn Morning

Braison looked out her clear window inside her room. It was an autumn morning, with golden and crimson crisp leaves scattered around the ground. The gnarled branches of trees touched the cerulean sky, and the air felt cold. Braison loved autumn. It was a nice season. She brushed strands of her bright brown hair from her pale cheeks. Then, making sure her parents were asleep, Braison slipped out the door, beaming. She hurried into a forest in her backyard, which she loved. Braison knew her parents didn't want her in the forest any time, even on a weekend day like Saturday, which was today! They would say, 'Please study', or 'Read a book inside, it's too dangerous out there!' Braison knew her parents hated going outside, since her mother was a librarian, adoring books and remaining stuck inside a library. Her father worked in a little office, and liked little spaces, not large forests or wide open meadows. His sister (Braison's aunt) had died in a forest before, because a black bear had attacked her.

Being an oudoor person, Braison didn't see anything bad about going outside. In her opinion, her mother and father could be quite overprotective. What was wrong with her parents?