Chapter 26: The Funeral

Today was the day. Braison miserably slipped into a black surplice dress and put on plain black flats. She adjusted the black hollyhock that she put in her straightened hair. It was time for Gunner's funeral, and it would take place at home. The Hacheen family was no longer a happy family. They stood by the door waiting for their friends and family to arrive, looking drained and forlorn. The first people to reach the Hacheen house was Catalina's family. They stood by the door, staring sadly at Braison's family, and Braison's family stared sadly at them. Neither family said a word. Then, Catalina's family slowly tramped inside. Libby and Joe came after the Goodwiller family, their eyes watery. They clasped onto Braison for a minute. Shane was next to Libby and Joe. Libby and Joe had been taking care of Shane. Shane went over to Braison and leaned against her leg, glad to be back with her. Braison embraced him and caressed his cold fur. Other people started arriving. Braison didn't like seeing all these people here. There were plenty of neighbors, friends, and family. Braison didn't know much of them well, not even some of her cousins, who she barely visited. She just wanted to be left alone, away from everyone. She was sick of the people giving them so much apologies and pity.

Feet dragged across the floor of the house, and when someone spoke, their voice was low. Hugs were exchanged, and soft sobs were heard. After some people said 'sorry', they awkwardly looked down at the floor, then headed over to the table that was brimming with bowls and plates of food. They would then quickly shove food down their throats, turning their backs to the Hacheen family. Though the room was full of people, it sure felt empty. When everyone was finished talking, hugging, crying, and eating, they all trudged outside to the coffin. The coffin lay down on the flat ground, surrounded by grass and fancy vases filled with lillies and chrysanthemums. White rose petals were scattered on top of the coffin. The eulogist was an old man who looked fragile and quiet. He stood gravely by the coffin, his eyes scanning the crowd of people in front of him.

Braison didn't listen to much of what he said as he spoke in a somber voice. She only heard bits of words in his eulogy, and she tried to erase them from her head. Everyone was looking down, and the tears began to start up again. Braison turned away from Gunner's coffin, shutting her eyes tightly. As her parents said their eulogies, their voices almost broke. It was terrible to hear them sound so hurt. When the funeral was over, everyone gave little hugs, rushed over to their cars, got in, and drove off. Braison looked up at the sky, which was a blend of gloomy colors of gray. The clouds were gathering together. Suddenly, she felt a drop of rain plunge onto her from the sky. More drops of rain fell, and it began raining. Braison's parents got inside, just sitting and staring into space. They didn't even ask where their daughter was going when Braison headed outside with Shane, holding onto an umbrella. The austere wind hurried around the air, blowing faster. Braison's dress flowed in the wind as she took stark steps into Slender Forest. She decided to take a walk. As Braison strolled through Slender Forest, she felt the emotions she always felt when she came in there. There was a feeling of pain and fright.

Mud seeped through Braison's flats, and soon, they felt soggy. Leaves stuck onto the sole of Braison's shoes as well. When Braison looked up at the slender trees looming over her, she shivered. They always reminded her of Slender Man. 

Braison kept walking and walking. She walked very far and froze when she reached an area she was unfamiliar with. She was still in Slender Forest, but this area was more steeper and full of dirt. There were rocks everywhere Braison looked, and actually a few trees that were an average size. Shane scrutinized this area too, because he knew he had never been here. Braison's eyes widened when she saw a soaked sheet of paper sagging from a tree. Well, at least it wasn't nighttime so Slender Man couldn't get her. Braison fearlessly grabbed the paper and squinted her eyes to read the wet and smudged paper. There was a picture...but it wasn't Slender Man.

It was a picture of a smiling young boy. Braison read one word on the paper...'Missing'. She also saw bold numbers on the paper, which looked like it was a phone number. Shane glanced at Braison as she read the paper.

There was also a name on the paper. It took minutes to figure out what the name said, but at last, Braison found out what the name on the paper said: Charlie Matheson Jr.