Chapter 7: Research

After school, Braison didn't bother talking to Catalina. She was busy talking to her boyfriend, Zeke. Zeke wasn't so attractive to Braison. His face was expressionless, he smelled like roadkill, he often stared at the ground instead of at people when they spoke to him, and the clothes he wore were the same shades of color: gray, black, and white. But Catalina didn't mind any of that. She was embracing him. Braison darted home, sat down a chair, and snatched her laptop. She looked up the words 'Slender Man' on Google. Then, Braison clicked on a website about Slender Man and the website said many "facts" about him. How he loved to torture people, what he looked like, and tons of mythology. An hour later, when Braison believed Catalina was finished spending time with her boyfriend, she called her.

"What?" Catalina asked in a stiffened voice as she picked up the phone.

"Hello to you too," Braison muttered, puttting the phone on speaker. She rummaged through the kitchen cabinets and cupboards for crackers. As soon as she saw the crackers, she set them on a clean dish.

"Fine, hi. Now what did you call for?" Catalina demanded, glowering at her phone as if it were Braison.

"Oh, I just looked up Slender Man. All this stuff about him....it's stupid," Braison admitted, dragging out a jar of Nutella from a cupboard, and opening the lid. She grabbed a knife and dumped it into the jar of Nutella.

"It's not stupid. Most websites are accurate with all the information on him," Catalina assured Braison, placing her feet on the coffee table. "Did you know his main victims are children? Online, there's some pictures of children playing. And you can see Slender Man in a few of them. See for yourself." Braison pursed her lips, twisting a lock of her hair around until it turned into a knot.

"I can't believe you! You're crazy. Slender Man isn't real, and the 'facts' about him online are not real as well," Braison snapped, smearing Nutella onto her crackers. "You can't just believe everything you read on the Internet!"

"Sure I can, there's no law against it," Catalina chuckled conceitedly. "Can I go now?" Braison frowned as she nibbled on her cracker.

"Whatever," she mumbled. "Bye."

"Finallly! Bye," Catalina said.