Chapter 14: A New Friend

That afternoon, Braison parents were still praying as the FBI drove their cars towards Slender Forest. Meanwhile, Braison and her brother and friend were leaning against the slim trees in the forest that looked like skyscrapers. Suddenty, as they were about to fall into a peaceful nap, a noise startled them all.

"What if...WHAT IF IT'S SLENDER MAN!? OH MY CREASE! LET'S RUN!!" Gunner screamed, shooting up from the ground. Braison tugged on his shirt sleeve.

"Chill, Slendy comes out at nighttime!" she told him quickly. "Sit down. Now." Gunner reluctantly plopped himself on the ground, his eyes narrowed. Braison awkwardly patted his brown head.

"Don't worry kid," she murmured. They heard more noises beofre Braison could let Gunner calm down. It sounded like...barks? 

"WOOF! WOOF! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFF!!!!!!" 

They all scurried to where the sound was coming from. It seemed to be getting close, closer--so near them, closer--"Oof!" Catalina fell to the ground, astonished as she felt something touch her knees. 

"WHAT THE HECK JUST TOUCHED MEH?!" she shrieked, brushing off her knees.

"A, a....A dog!" Gunner cheered, his dimple showing. Braison's jaw dropped at the dog. She loved dogs. Who didn't? But apparently, her parents hated animals, so no pets allowed! Not even a fish, which was easy to take care of and was no harm! And yes, a dog was in front of them all right now, panting, its cerise tongue sticking out.  The dog's fur was umber and black, and covered with some dirt. Its ears poked up like the end of spears, and its eyes were like shining black marbles. This dog seemed friendly and trustworthy.

"Wow, a German Shepherd. It's a big one!" Gunner said, reaching out to the dog. Braison yanked him back.

"You could get rabies!" she chided.

"Fine, Mom," Gunner teased, chuckling. Catalina leaned towards the dog, who stood still. Then, very slowly, she put a hand on its ear--and stroked it gently.

"Aww, he seems like a nice guy!" Catalina cooed, rubbing the dog's ears. "Oh yes you're a cutie, aren't you? Come pat him, he's nice!" She turned to Braison and Gunner. Braison and Gunner began patting him, and soon, they had all fallen in love with the large dog. Braison's shamrock green eyes sparkled in delight.

"Let's name him.!" she suggested. "What should we name him?" They all began thinking. All of a sudden, Gunner shot up from the ground.

"Guys, we gotta go, I just saw something a few feet away! Luckily, they didn't see us!" Gunner whispered.

"Who did you see, Slender Man?" Braison joked, giggling.

"I saw these guys with serious faces and they wore FBI uniforms I believe," Gunner explained quietly. He heard footsteps getting closer. The friends all scrambled off. And surprisingly, the dog followed.

"Donny, Donny, I just heard somethin', let's go!" an FBI agent named Josh said, dashing away. Donny trailed behind him. The kids ran and ran, their feet shoving sticks and leaves away. They hoped the FBI agents weren't so close.

"I see something, I think a human!" a voice said loudly. It was Donny's voice. The kids kept running, until they all ran out of breath. Braison let her brain think quick. Without hesitation, she gripped onto a tree--and climbed it. Her climbing skills were excellent. She kept her balance perfect and her feet and long finger nails seemed attached to the tree as she pulled herself up. Braison felt so energetic and happy as she climbed. The FBI agents were getting nearer, so Catalina forced herself to climb up. She did a fine job. And so did Gunner, who was filled with energy. The dog did not make any noise. He buried himself into a pile of brown leaves and branches, which made him very camoflauged. The FBI were standing in the area where the kids hid. They glanced around suspiciously, with frowns glued onto their faces.

"See anything?" Donny asked Josh. Braison dared not to breathe or move as she hid behind the leaves and branches on the tree. She was way up higher than her friend and brother, so they surely couldn't see her! Catalina was struggling, and she felt her foot go numb instantly as she froze on the branches. This was especially difficult for Gunner, who liked to move a lot. He was pretty hyper, but was smart enough to know not to move of course! After all, the agents had sharp eyes. They had good senses and were well trained! They weren't a single bit stupid. The agents listened closely, feeling someone was around. They only heard breeze rush by and birds sing in harmony. But still, they listened. Finally, sooner, the agents gave up.

"C'mon, Donny, let's go! We might need to go this way!" Josh recommended, shrugging. They darted towards north of the forest.

"Phew, I think they're gone!" Gunner hissed, hearing their footsteps fade away. Of course he was the first one to begin speaking! Immediately, the dog sprung out of the clump of leaves and sticks, and held his head up to the tree the kids were hiding at. He was smart.