Chapter 10: Needing Proof

On Wednesday evening during dinner, no one spoke. Mrs. and Mr. Hacheen were stuffing themselves with mashed potatoes and Gunner pawed at his peas. Braison was picking at her steak, staring out the window. The trees looked thinner and they had weird branches. The sky was no longer colored. Its blue had drained away. 

"May I leave to go somewhere after dinner?" Braison asked politely. She hoped her parents would say 'yes'. But her parents were still as a statue. 

"Why do you want to leave? You aren't going to the forest, right?" Mrs. Hacheen said sternly. Her face was gray. 

"No, of course not!" Braison vowed, giving her mother a firm nod. "I won't." 

Her parents let her go after their silent dinner. Braison did not go to the forest. She was going to the police station.

.................................................... 

As Braison strolled inside the police station, she noticed prisoners snoring or growling in their cells, and crime victims panicking. Policemen were devouring donuts and laughing away. 

"Oh, Braison Hacheen, right?" a familiar officer said, holding out his hand to Braison. "I'm Joey, remember yesterday with Zeke?" 

Braison gave a nod and said, 

"Of course, hi. I think I know who murdered Zeke." Everyone looked at her. 

"We're kinda on break now," Joey murmured, sipping some coffee. "Is this urgent?" 

"YES." Braison told the officers impatiently. "I believe Slender Man killed him." It was true. Braison thought he was real now. There couldn't have been anyone else that killed him in Slender Forest at night! No one usually came out that time in the forest. The officers snickered at Braison's words, but an officer named Ricardo decided to deal with Braison. They plopped down in seats in a small room. 

"Slender Man doesn't exist, he's a—-" Ricardo began. 

"No one usually comes out to Slender Forest at night, and Slender Man could've been the only one there!" Braison interrupted. "Everyone says that creature lives there!" 

Ricardo was reddening, which meant he was getting annoyed. 

"Miss Hacheen, we understand your concern, but you need proof! I—" Ricardo started, holding up a finger. 

"Enough! I will show you proof that he's real, AND he killed Zeke!" Braison blurted. She stormed out of the police station quickly. But as she trudged home, she didn't know how to get proof. It wouldn't be easy for sure.