13 - Mean

13  -Mean 

Why you gotta be so mean?

“Brittany, put your hand on Georgia’s shoulder. Eleanor, hold Jessica’s hand. Now, all smile -no, giggle. Yes, that way. We are all friends in here. -Makeup retouch please,” our photographer Nigel said.

He took a sip of water as the styling assistants retouched our makeup. Eleanor made a goofy face, reminding me of Louis so much, and I smiled. I was so happy to be able to call her my friend -being Louis’s girlfriend or not-, I loved her so much. That friends’ love in which you know your life will never be the same without that girl.

I returned my gaze to the red head girl that was with a makeup brush in my face. She seemed nice. I smiled at her as she got on the tip of her feet to pass the brush through my forehead. She grunted, like literally grunted. No joke. I fought hard not to gasp or make any faces of amusement, shock, or disbelief –even if I was feeling all the emotions at the same time. She sprayed something into my hair to make it look as flawless as it looks on the editorial and commercial pictures models take. The kind that makes you feel like you are a disgusting mess. Okay, not disgusting but pathetic. 

Oh, yeah and by the way, I already know the fashion world’ terms and signs and all those things. I know the difference between an editorial photo and a commercial one. I know which makeup is the best. And I did not use any makeup at all before I came here. You would think I believe in true beauty or any stupid thing like that.

But no.

The reason why I wore no makeup before was because I had no idea of what to use, how to use it and it always got into my eyes, or was all over the place or was in a place it should not be at all. And makeup restrains you. You have to always be careful of what you do, always be paying attention to it and retouching it and making sure you do not sweat or whatever. Makeup just annoys me, but for my job I have to use it.

Not that anyone noticed me enough as to even see my makeup. It was a waste of time.

So, in summary of all I just said, I do not wear makeup. At least I did not until now. Now it is a daily basis. A must. But I repeat, only for work. I think… we will see how my mood causes me to act.

“Back to your positions girls,” Nigel commanded as he got the camera into his hands again. Yey! Back to the annoying flashes! “Brittany, flirt with me,” he demanded as he looked straight at me. My eyebrow quirked upwards in disbelief as he said this. Then, he explained himself. “Come on, no shyness. Smile into the camera. Move your head to the side, theway you girls do when you flirt. Come on. Picture a boy you like and flirt with him.” I tried to do as he said. “Yes. You got it. Keep it up,” he cheered.

This made me feel confident enough to flirt.

The rest of the photo shoot was the same deal. When we finished, we went to a nearby table to take off the expensive jewelry. My high heels were off my feet a long while ago. They are beautiful but they are meant to murder your feet. I honestly admire the women that can stay with those all day long. But I guess I will have to learn to deal with that bastard pain.

Georgia and Jessica stood a couple of feet away from me. I sighed as they stared at me with despise.

Why? Why’ Why?!

This is the part I do not really like, but obstacles will not stop me. Never. That is something I promise to myself right then and there, as they size me down with their mocking smirks.

“I can’t believe they make us waste our time just to take pictures for the newbies’ portfolio!” Georgia complained, obviously annoyed.

I have no idea if they knew I could hear them or not. I wanted to leave immediately but I had to take off of me the jewelry as carefully as possible. They had let me know if I ruined anything I would have to pay for it. And that it would not be good for me to be known as a model that ruins the stuff that she wears.

“I know right! This is such a waste of time. And did you see how she can’t even flirt?” Jessica giggled. This was that moment in movies when the mean girls bully the defenseless girl and she cannot or simply does nothing about it. The thing is in movies she becomes fearless at the end and stands up for herself. I hope I can become that girl someday.

“Oh, my! I thought I had been the only one that had noticed it! She is totally a forever alone,” Georgia continued, burning a whole into my chest with flaming and hurtful words from which I might never recover. Please do not judge me. I am too fragile to speak up. I just cannot speak up.

“Yeah. She totally is. Who would like to be with her?” Jessica laughed. “Hey, but for real. Have you seen her talking about any guy?” she questioned next.

“No. There is a slight chance she is lesbian. You never know,” Georgia shrugged with a disgusted look on her face. I felt my heart begin to shrink and slowly shatter to the ground.

“Not slight, huge,” Jessica corrected laughing at me as if I was not right there, as if I was not like them.

I felt my heart ache as they said all those horrible things about me. I felt a lonely and pained tear linger inside my eye. Why could not they just stay away from me if they did not like me? I was not doing anything to them! The tears started to come out as I laid the last earring on the table.

“Ugh. I wonder how much we will have to stand her,” Georgia huffed as she rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, right! Hopefully she will not last long.”

Eleanor interrupted their conversation, much to my relief. “Hopefully you will not last long.” She stood in front of them defiantly. She got her arms to her hips and looked so intimidating that it even scared me. “But life is not that great, is it?”

“Excuse me?” they chorused in a high pitched tone with the bitch factor Eleanor had talked about out.

“You heard. Back off and leave her alone.”

Her eyes intimidated. Georgia and Jessica tried not to seem scared but they failed miserably. They walked away glaring at Eleanor and me. They kept on murmuring things. Eleanor stared at them until they disappeared of our sight. Then, she returned her gaze to mine. Her gaze had softened. She smiled reassuringly.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” I whispered as the tears continued messing up my makeup. I must look hideous right now. “Thanks for that. I was not going to do anything about it.”

“It’s okay. I hate when they do that. And they have no right to be like that with you. Or anyone. Need a hug?”she asked.

“Maybe…” I mumbled as I let her embrace me in a hug. I felt her warmth and scent invade me. I was surprised at how nice Eleanor was. Well, with me and the people she liked in general.

“It is time to go,” she whispered, knowing that those words would make my day. It was six thirty in the afternoon already. The dinner was at seven.

She was right. I felt so excited.

---*---*---

HI! How have you been? Do you like the new cover? I love it! It is so much better then the last one! I suck at doing those things....Anyway, hope you like it have a nice day.

Happy Halloween by the way!

Vomment and fan and read my other stories Perrie Sent Me and Babysitting Lux