38 - People Like Us

38 - People Like Us

People like us, we gotta stick together. Keep your head up, nothing lasts forever. 

Brittany and Wilhelmina’s conversation continued until they were interrupted a few hours later. Apparently someone very important arrived because Wilhelmina immediately shut down Brittany as if she did not matter anymore.

“Maybe you never did,” her subconscious says, tearing her heart apart. That bastard always managed to bring her down.

“Oh, Cara my dear!” Wilhelmina squealed, standing enthusiastically up immediately as someone entered her office. Her voice had completely changed. It was like when she saw Jackson, her voice softened.

At the memory of Jackson, Brittany’s face fell down. She felt an ache inside her chest, and she wished she could not love, praying it would be like in that book Delirium so she could find a cure for love and never fall in love again. But she did not need any cure; she was going to stay away from boys. Not many came around her anyway.

She sighed, wishing she had not become into this so self-conscious and sad girl. Where had the confident girl she was before had gone? Brittany used to try to understand –and always failed to since she could not relate to them- the girls that constantly said on Tumblr how depressed they were. Now, she was going down the same path. Yeah, her life had not been the easiest in high school, but she had never got depressed or anything like that.

Brittany came back into her senses, remembering there was someone in the room and that she had promised not to pity herself when in work. Business and feelings do not belong together. Another important rule Wilhelmina had taught her.

She immediately turned around, only to find Cara Delevingne standing in front of her. Brittany had researched about the famous and powerful models on the runway this year and this beautiful, quirky and unusual model in front of her leaded the charts. She had been crowned the model of the year by Vogue. Brittany’s breathing sunk and her mouth dropped. Cara hugged Wilhelmina enthusiastically. Apparently they were friends for life or something.

“It has been so long!” Cara whined as she waved around, trying to explain herself better through her body language. She smiled happily as she saw Wilhelmina up and down.

“Yes, it has, I missed you girl. You never call,” Wilhelmina reprimanded, getting her hands to the sides of her hips. She tapped her Loubutinis on the floor, making Cara giggle and hug her again in surrender and asking for forgiveness. Apparently this young model knew all about Wilhelmina’s ways, just like I would soon do.

“I’m sorry; I always have to travel so I barely get time to sleep. And you know how important that is!” Cara said giggling some more.

They sat in a couch in front of Brittany, Wilhelmina forgetting about her and Cara not even noticing her. They were having a pretty heated conversation, talking about oh-so-much Brittany had no idea about. Their conversation carried on as Brittany just stared at them in disbelief. But then, after five minutes of mere talking and incessant babbling, Cara finally felt a stare on her. She slowly turned to face Brittany.

“Who’s this?” she asked, getting the pepper spray inside her tote bag ready.

“Huh?” Wilhelmina looked at Brittany and then, suddenly remembered her. “Oh, sorry. This is Brittany, that young model I sent you the picture of,” she said, smiling sheepishly, not being able to believe she had got so carried away by the conversation as to forget Brittany. But it had been long since she saw Cara, an old girl her son ‘had fun with’ as he said himself when she asked if they were dating. After he dumped her the way he always did, she and Cara remained friends. She had to somehow mend the trouble her son created.