Chapter 9

I finished classes a few hours ago and I'm almost done packing. Then spring break can officially begin. Throughout the week, the majority of my time will be spent between Cody and Logan. Then next weekend, Caroline and Kristina are visiting. What I'm most excited about is calling Logan my boyfriend again.

Dating each other again was one of my best decisions. He's not only proven to me he can try harder, but he won't back away from the tough conversations. We both have things we can continue to work on, but we can do it together.

My suitcase is jam-packed. Did I pack too much? Maybe, but I like to be prepared. Using one hand to keep the top closed, I use the other to pull the zipper. It's closed, but just barely. I grab the phone buzzing my dresser.

Logan: I woke up today feeling grateful that you've given me another chance. Although we're not fully together, I'm so lucky to have someone like you love me. I'm excited for spring break because we can spend as much time together as possible. Love you.

Lorraine: I can't wait either. I'm leaving here in a bit. What are you doing tonight? Cody wants to go out. Not sure where. But you're welcome to come.

Logan: I can't tonight. It's my buddy's birthday. I said I'd join. But tomorrow, you're all mine.

Lorraine: Sounds good. Have fun.

Logan: Love you

I slip my phone in my back pocket, carry my things down the stairs and stop in the kitchen, finding Kristina eating a bowl of cereal and Caroline drinking some coffee.

"Girls, I'm heading out."

"Good luck!" Kristina wiggles her eyebrows, stands, and gives me a hug.

Last night, I told them I'm ready to get back together with Logan. My plan is to tell him tomorrow at dinner.

"Lorraine doesn't need luck!" Caroline says proudly.

I try my best to give off a confident smile, but really, I'm nervous. How do I know if I'm making the right decision? "Thanks, guys! I'll see you next week for the party!"

----------

Cody bought a family-style home built in the seventies. The three bedroom, two-and-a-half bathroom house has a lot of potential. I was able to see it a few times over Christmas break, but from my conversations with Cody, he's made a lot of progress since.

"I'm here!" The heat hits me when I walk inside, quite a difference from the cold weather that decided to rear its ugly head. How on earth is it 45 degrees one day, then 10 degrees and snowing the next day? I have no idea. Living in the midwest most of my life, you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

Shrugging my coat off, I scan the living room on my right and the dining room on my left; no response. I hang my coat on the hall tree in the entryway, and walk to the stairs that separate the two rooms. "Cody!" Is this how you treat a guest?"

"Sugarplum princess!" Mom and Dad come running from behind the stairs. They must have been in the kitchen. Mom traps me into a bear hug; I can't escape.

"Hi, sweetie." Dad joins the hug.

I give them a big smile. "I didn't realize I would see you tonight. Cody and I planned on bothering you during the week!"

"We wanted to make your favorite meal before your wild night out with your bro!" Mom says, doing some weird rock on sign with her hands. "Something to suck up all that alcohol."

Cody thumps down the stairs with wet hair and a cleanly shaven face. "Hey, sis! Ready to be my wingwoman?"

"Why else was I born?" I say jokingly, following Cody and my parents into the kitchen.