Chapter 20

Christopher's POV:

            I woke up in a dark, empty room. I searched the perimeters of the room and found no Azalea. I glanced at the windows which were colored by the darkness of the evening. Placed by my bedside was a tray of food which meant that suppertime has passed already. I picked up a piece of bread, ready to eat it, but my appetite just wasn’t there. I dropped it back on the plate and mulled over what to do. Even though Azalea warned me not to leave the bed, I couldn’t help myself. The idea of being cooped up in bed all day and night did not appeal to me. How I longed to hold the grip of my sword or the feather of an arrow.

            I placed on some loose trousers and chemise that was easy to move around in and slowly walked around the room, trying to adjust to the muscles I have been neglecting the past week I’ve been passed out. I gradually got sick of the scenery, or lack of scenery, in the room and snuck out. I knew that the hall between Azalea’s and my room and the study room would be unoccupied throughout the evening, so it was a perfect area to walk around in.

As I walked down the hall, I saw a light creep out of the cracks of the study room and heard a voice. The voice belonged to Azalea, the last person I wanted to discover my wandering. I was about to turn around and head back before she found out, until I heard another voice in there with her. The voice was that of a man’s and I could tell it certainly wasn’t Hector’s voice. I approached the room in a clandestine manner in order to hide the sound of my footsteps. Though it’s not a “kingly” thing to do, I pressed my ear as close as I could to the crack of the doors in order to eavesdrop on their conversation.

“…What are you saying Kane?”

I automatically recognized the name: Kane, one of the knights in Pyrus, childhood friend of Azalea, and brother to Lady Lidia of Pyrus.

            I remember during my visit to Pyrus to propose the engagement machination to Azalea, I saw him. In fact, I saw him with Azalea. The way she looked at him, I instinctively knew what their relationship was. If I never married Azalea, it was likely he would be her husband. I concentrated on what the two were saying.

            “I love you Azalea. I always have.” 

            “Kane, I…I can’t… I have Christopher…”

            “I know, but don’t tell me you have never felt that way towards me before.”

            “That was before Kane. That’s all in the past now.”

There was a brief silence before I heard Azalea’s voice again.

            “Kane, what are you…?”

I had an intuitive feeling of what happened.

            I couldn’t shake off my inkling and barged into the room just in time to see Azalea pull apart from Kane. She had her fingers covering her lips and her face was flustered and embarrassed.

            I don’t know what came over me then. I had a strong surge of emotions pass through my entire body, controlling it. I forcefully grabbed Azalea’s arm and dragged her out of the room and down the hall. She muttered something but I didn’t hear, or rather, I didn’t want to hear. When we were inside our bedroom, I pinned her against a wall and gazed directly into her sparkling grey eyes.

            “Why were you with Kane?”

            “Kane was sent here to be my personal bodyguard after the coronation.”

            “Guarding you my ass; why were you with him?”

            “He just wanted to speak with me.”

            “That explains the kiss doesn’t it?”

This was bad. I was starting to feel dizzy.

            “Why do you care? You are only my husband based by the laws of our kingdoms. We have nothing bound to each other besides that! It’s not like we love each other anyway!”

            “You’re wrong!”

            “How am I wrong?”

Before I realized it myself, I pressed her soft lips against mine. I embraced her and felt all my feeling rise up again from this one kiss. I’ve never felt this way before and I knew why. I pulled apart from her, leaving her speechless.

            “This king is in love with you.” 

_____________________________________________

Hey guys! HE LOVES HER! Well, we all knew that was going to happen right? So, tell me what you think. Like it? Love it? Hate it? Let me know :)